TF1260 Firmware Update ... er Update?

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF1260 Firmware Update ... er Update?

Post by terriblefire »

Thanks. It’s not that I’m fed up with Amigas it just that arcades are ***soooo*** shiny
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:11 am I'm also continuing to see whinging about chip ram performance. I'm honestly never going to seriously tackle this. Firstly because its a £200 card not a £700 card but mostly because the Amiga is not really a suitable machine for FPS.
I've constantly tried to explain to people that it's a pointless and expensive exercise chasing playing PC FPS games on an Amiga, when you could go out and buy a used £50 PC that would run it perfectly, as intended.

I own a TF1260, but have no desire to play Quake on it. ID had no desire for me to do so either.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

PaulJ_2.0 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:53 am
terriblefire wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:11 am I'm also continuing to see whinging about chip ram performance. I'm honestly never going to seriously tackle this. Firstly because its a £200 card not a £700 card but mostly because the Amiga is not really a suitable machine for FPS.
I've constantly tried to explain to people that it's a pointless and expensive exercise chasing playing PC FPS games on an Amiga, when you could go out and buy a used £50 PC that would run it perfectly, as intended.

I own a TF1260, but have no desire to play Quake on it. ID had no desire for me to do so either.
It is technically possible to get better performance. And I may get a little better out of the firmware changes i'm planning.. But here are the approaches you can take.

1. Do the dumb state machine from the 68040 application notes manual.
2. Tune up the state machine from the 68040 manual a bit (TF1260 does this)
3. Have a write buffer that stores sequences of writes that decouples the current CPU cycle from the write cycle in progress.

I could possibly do 3 but there are things im uncomfortable with... A bus error for example may happen for a write that the CPU thinks is already done. I think its needlessly complex too. Just buy a card with RTG.

I am planning to do something more like the Tf4060. The trouble is that the A1200 chipset just sucks. If it doesnt get signals at the right time it hangs forever. Its literally not asynchronous. It doesnt even assert a retry if the bus has hung.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

As admirable and impressive as that is, it still doesn't take away the fact that for peanuts you can run quake elsewhere.
I don't see the fascination myself and probably never will. I was hugely into Quakeworld TF when I was a younger chap and my memories are scarred when I even look at an Amiga running quake. The Amiga was all about 2D and it did that supremely well. My love for Amiga was all about those 2D or Isometric games like The Settlers, Populos, Xenon and Pinball Fantasies etc. The chase for FPS games is insanely expensive and seemingly fruitless as even the best I've ever seen so far still isn't running it anywhere nearly as well as my 1998 PC did.

Sure though, improve the cards performance, but ignore the requests of the Doom/Quake brigade. That path is only going to lead to frustration :)
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

I would say ignore the comments on forums! The TF1260 is amazing even at release firmware. It got MASSIVELY better with the latest firmware (which was unexpected bonus!!!). If you release a perfect product, 20% of people will whine about nothing - 1% of the 80% of happy people will feel the need to post how great a product is. Human nature means people want to complain but hardly ever praise something...

Just do your own thing - if arcades (being shinney and all) have your focus now, just do arcades =D But remember there are many of us that think the TF1260 is like mana from heaven! With regards to the firmware thing - it's kind of a mute point. ie. Again this was a project where it was sold as is, described well by the sellers. Reviews and videos are at original FW release version. Yes there's an updated version, but people can post their card back to builders for an update if they want, or if they wait (and dont Gipsy Kiss you off), eventually it will go open source and they can update it themselves.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
trixster

Post by trixster »

I am 100% happy with my TF1260, it’s brilliant. If nothing changes about it I’ll remain totally pleased. Any updates would be welcomed too, but it won’t alter my satisfaction with what was designed and then built.

I actually appreciate the fact that nothing was promised, expectations weren’t raised. If nothing more happens wrt development we were never under the illusion that it might. As a buyer this is good, and it means we won’t go down the messy path that’s caused such issues and resentment with some of the fpga-based accelerators.
AndreaM

Post by AndreaM »

As the card is it finally makes Art Effect fully useable for me and that makes me very happy. If you ever decide to finish and release a firmware update then that'll be an extra bit of icing on an already great cake.

Given my level of incompetence I'd have to get someone to do any upgrade for me anyway. :mrgreen:
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings that answers to either Andrea or fluffkitten
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Thanks everyone. I think i've always been clear what it is i'm making. It might not be everyone's cup of tea (and thats fine) but saying there is utterly no value in the card unless it can play FPS is completely idiotic.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Finally i see some comments about support on the most toxic amiga forum in the world.. read here..

https://wordpress.hertell.nu/?page_id=1161

"NO Support is given from Stephen directly"

If you want support, updates, fast chip access, friendly service or even not to be told insulting things about your mum then PAY FOR IT from a company. This is a hobby. This is MY hobby that I have been nagged into reluctantly letting 3 builders build for the community. Sheesh... entitled morons.

EDIT: Note to those from that non-English speaking part of the world. If your opening line starts with "Scandal" or some major negative comment expect to get (a) a similar tone back. (b) Banned from ever buying anything from me.. ever. (c) I may just ban your friends too so they teach you a lesson.

This is the Scottish way. If someone in your group is misbehaving we ban the whole group so you collectively learn to behave.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Just want to put a final thing in here for those kicking off on EAB/Facebook and PPA.PL...

1. The update isnt ready yet.
2. I have spent the last 6 months moving house with our first buyer falling through and us having to bridge on about half a million pounds... Hopefully that will all be over next week. But it was about the most stressful thing that ever happened to me.
3. I have had an epic amount of work on in my day job. I've been delivering large projects, we're 9 people short in our section and of the two people in my team presently the most senior after me is about to disappear for 10 weeks on Paternity leave + untaken vacation from last year.
4. Every spare moment outside work has been spent unboxing and organising the new house which is needing a lot of work. We have moved from a 15 year old property to a 100+ year old property.
5. The lab is not even set up properly yet for testing. I need builders in to get things sorted to the same standard that I had before.
6. I spent 3 days of my vacation on the update but i havent got those changes running yet. That will take time i dont have right now.
7. Its the summer and we end up doing things with kids in our spare time not sitting at scopes.

Again i dont know why people think this is a scandal. I never even promised an update and if anyone thinks i'm going to be bullied into finishing it they can watch their entire country go back on the banned list.
———

Return to “TF360”