Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

kulamario

Re: TF1260 Beta Firmware

Post by kulamario »

Update done time for tests
trixster

Post by trixster »

Is it possible to update the fw using a raspberry pi?
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

trixster wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:39 am Is it possible to update the fw using a raspberry pi?
I am going to use a Pi 3. Supaduper said this on the previous page and a Pi works on other TF's so I see no problem:

No you can't do it with a Blaster...A raspberry pi can if you have one

With a Pi you just need to connect to the JTAG header. TF Board does not need an external 5v supply.
Download Supaduper's 8GB image and put on the TF1260 firmware and your good to go. (Not compatible with Pi 4, and check your GPIO connections)
trixster

Post by trixster »

Yeah, that's the post i noticed, along with supaduper's image.

I have a spare RPi3 and dupont cables so I might look into this.

Regarding power - the TF1260 pcb says "The JTAG Programmer DOES NOT POWER THE CPLD for Programming. The board needs powered up." By that I assume you have the TF installed and the amiga turned on, and that's when you do the flash? Or is that a daft thing to do and you have to power the TF1260 some other way?
Might be better if i just leave this to the professional to do :D :p
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Maybe we need a clarification from the Boffins.
I programmed my TF330 some years back but have forgotten :?
I thought that PCB note was for a Xilinx programmer not the Pi. I thought you just need the 3.3v (from Pi) to power the Xilinx chips for programming, the 5v is not needed as rest of the board is not needed?

Would also be good to have clarification that TF boards can be left plugged in and host AMIGA can be left powered off.
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

You need the 3.3v side of the board powered by 3.3v - The Xilinx programmer I use cannnot power it. Therefore what I usually do on all the TF boards is feed 5v into the 5v pin header, which then powers the whole board. I don't program it "in the Amiga" as I personally don't like doing that - a) It means you need the Amiga powered and near the PC you are using to program it, and b) I dont like the idea of it sat there in the middle of the board (with a clock going in) and programming up the device whilst its kinda sat there in the middle, could be mid processing when you program it, who knows what's going on with all the various signals going in and out etc. I would guess when it starts programming all the IO pins go high impedance? The system is still clocked all the while.

All that said - I can see the advantage in re-programming it many times in-situ, in the Amiga, when developing the boards. It's a calculated low risk probably.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

There is no reason for the Rasp pi not to work in programming the TF1260 so long as you follow the instructions, the Board can to be plugged in to the A1200 and turned on or it can programmed outside making sure if you have connected the 3.3v from the Rasp Pi ... NOT the 5v )

Then Rasp pi connected via the correct pinout for your version of raspberry pi as different versions have different pinouts !, mine was a ver 3 Rasp pi, so caviat..CHECK YOUR GPIO pinout on your Rasp Pi

Also observe correct jed file assignment to each CPLD, so RAM jed is UNIT 0, and BUS jed is UNIT 1

Caviat.....I take no responsibilty if you brick your card , release `The Magic Smoke ` or any other self inflicted error :)

If in doubt return to one of us builders for re-programming
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

There was a reason i said if you dont know how to do this do not...

Can we keep "how to program a CPLD" off this thread please. Every time i send out a firmware the thread becomes polluted with "how do i flash this". I will be deleting posts related to this because its covered elsewhere.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Sorry back on topic. Beta Firmware flashed this evening. Some initial thoughts:

I think I have watched TBL's StarStruck demo enough times now on TF360 & TF1260 + Youtube to spot lots of things, so I don't think this is a placebo, but with the Beta Firmware the initial parallax landscape scroll is much smoother with no microjerks (I am using CRT so no LCD processing). Also previously there were a small number of quick 'flashes' or glitches on the screen at points in the demo, now I did not see any with the Beta Firmware :ugeek:

Now because I run lots of demos I use the 'Double AMIGA Mouse Buttons' to then boot 'No Startup-Sequence' now maybe there is a time difference between CD32 and A1200 so I am thinking CD32, but there seems to be a longer delay to enter the Initial Boot Menu. Maybe it's just me on this one :?

I hope to do more testing over the next few days. Unfortunately the GFX glitches in Scoopex-Alien2 demo are still there and the Ramses Blackup demo still has an issue. Maybe Chipram related, so fingers crossed later on that might get cured. But as I have mentioned before, compatibility has been cracking from what I have tested :D

Just to note speed maxes out for me at 80Mhz as per previous Firmware. Oh, and I am on 10ns RAM JED

Thanks for releasing this Beta Firmware and looking forward to the enhancements finding their way onto the TF360 down the line ;)
freemilk

Post by freemilk »

Sorry for the confusion, seems my CF card has been the problem, it's an older one, and well guess it's done now.
going to reinstall 3.2 from scratch. will update on my progress.

sorry for the confusion.

Return to “TF360”