Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: CDTV Relocator for the TF536

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Ah!
then it is just a redrawn version of this:
http://lvd.nedopc.com/Projects/a600_8mb/index.html
now i got it... ;)
this doesn't help us to move forward though..
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I am planning to just make a driver that does PIO. Its not like the CD drive is so stonkingly fast that anyone would notice the speed reduction, especially if an 030 with a cache is doing the PIO. That completely eliminates all the ram issues.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
dalek

Post by dalek »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:47 am Ok i got my dev environment set up on my mac laptop. And i can start testing the driver changes now. Note that even with the allocmem patch i see that the dma gets asked to DMA to fastmem..
That's so weird. I was looking at your cdtv.device.asm. To me it looks like the DMA happens to the buffer "db" allocated withing the device node that gets added to the system with AddDevice. Is it possible that is being added in fast ram? In which case a workaround may be another allocmem and point the device buffer to that instead?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

dalek wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:18 am
terriblefire wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:47 am Ok i got my dev environment set up on my mac laptop. And i can start testing the driver changes now. Note that even with the allocmem patch i see that the dma gets asked to DMA to fastmem..
That's so weird. I was looking at your cdtv.device.asm. To me it looks like the DMA happens to the buffer "db" allocated withing the device node that gets added to the system with AddDevice. Is it possible that is being added in fast ram? In which case a workaround may be another allocmem and point the device buffer to that instead?
No this only happens for frame 1 and 3 of the CDXL buffer. The second frame goes direct to the buffer supplied by the user and that is almost always in FastMem. The more i think about it the less value i see in the DMA. Now i just need to figure out out to PIO the buffer correctly. If instruction caches are on then it should look about the same speed as DMA anyways.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
utri007

Post by utri007 »

@terriblefire
The more i think about it the less value i see in the DMA. Now i just need to figure out out to PIO the buffer correctly. If instruction caches are on then it should look about the same speed as DMA anyways.
What ever you decide it is perfectly OK. As a bright side, after it there is no tons of different expansions wich needed to work with it. :)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Grrrr. Started to get a dev setup working on the CDTV with the rom emulator and I’ve killed the bloody thing AGAIN...

Fscking hate working on this machine
448FFCFA-7993-4362-BE89-46922D92E465.jpeg
448FFCFA-7993-4362-BE89-46922D92E465.jpeg (371.06 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
———
go0se

Post by go0se »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:33 am Grrrr. Started to get a dev setup working on the CDTV with the rom emulator and I’ve killed the bloody thing AGAIN...
That's the reason you just bought that spare CDTV right? :lol:

What is the issue?
bartekmalysz

Post by bartekmalysz »

No problem, I have 3 more :lol:
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

go0se wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:57 am
terriblefire wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:33 am Grrrr. Started to get a dev setup working on the CDTV with the rom emulator and I’ve killed the bloody thing AGAIN...

What is the issue?
PSU blew and it showed a green screen after soldering A19... bloody thing
———
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:20 pm
go0se wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:57 am

What is the issue?
PSU blew and it showed a green screen after soldering A19... bloody thing
=( You've not had much luck with the CDTV have you!
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164

Return to “TF536”