CDTV Relocator for the TF536

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: CDTV Relocator for the TF536

Post by terriblefire »

Ok i got my dev environment set up on my mac laptop. And i can start testing the driver changes now. Note that even with the allocmem patch i see that the dma gets asked to DMA to fastmem..
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

How about 8MB CDTV Fastram Card for service port and Kipper2k Fastram board? Are these also support DMA?
Also Vesalia offered some ram boards, these also don't have DMA support....
https://www.vesalia.de/e_cdtvramexp.htm
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:30 pm How about 8MB CDTV Fastram Card for service port and Kipper2k Fastram board? Are these also support DMA?
Also Vesalia offered some ram boards, these also don't have DMA support....
https://www.vesalia.de/e_cdtvramexp.htm
I dont understand the question.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
utri007

Post by utri007 »

I think that 8 bit was thinking that some ram expansions doesn't support DMA and still works with CD-drive.

I have 4mb ram expansion for a diagnostic slot, it does DMA. Kipper2k's ram expansion doesn't work with CDTV, without special CDTV firmware, wich disables ram's autoconfig. Ram is added manually on boot.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

utri007 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:14 pm I think that 8 bit was thinking that some ram expansions doesn't support DMA and still works with CD-drive.
Yes but i dont understand what the question is. What is he asking about it? They either work or dont.
———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

utri007 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:14 pm I think that 8 bit was thinking that some ram expansions doesn't support DMA and still works with CD-drive.
yes, i was just curious how does these ram boards work if these doesn't do DMA... thanks to @utri007 for explanation,
Did i got it right, that if ram is not autoconfigured at boot and added at later point manually - it will work without DMA ?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:00 pm
yes, i was just curious how does these ram boards work if these doesn't do DMA... thanks to @utri007 for explanation,
Did i got it right, that if ram is not autoconfigured at boot and added at later point manually - it will work without DMA ?
The CDTV device api will just DMA into whatever ram you give it. Its difficult to understand why ZII autoconfig ram wouldnt support DMA.
———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

so this one has DMA support, right?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Commodore-Amiga ... 4256406558

While Kipper2k board needs a special firmware where ram get's added manually with AddMEM?
http://kipper2k.com/a500fastmem.html
now im puzzled even more... Can we ask Brian about his FW? Maybe he can help us?
utri007

Post by utri007 »

While Kipper2k board needs a special firmware where ram get's added manually with AddMEM?
http://kipper2k.com/a500fastmem.html
Thats correct. I'm not a coder but I think that disabling autoconfig would took something like 5 minits? At least now when Stephen is already familiar wit it? Correct me if I'm wrong?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I have the code for the Kipper2k card and it wasnt written by Brian. At least not originally.

The card doesnt generate its own DTACK which may be the issue. It just relys on DTACK falling to zero when nothing is decoding the bus.
———

Return to “TF536”