PLCC to DIP adaptor - TF536 on A600

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Lemaru

Re: PLCC to DIP adaptor - TF536 on A600

Post by Lemaru »

It's a bit of a mixed bag but guess it's partially due to some people using different firmwares at a guess.

When I get chance I'll clean the files up and send them over. Had to go KiCad rather than eagle due to the board size.

From experience with the vampire and ram expansions on the a600, it's often that most of any stability issues are caused by a poor connection between PLCC socket and CPU, so that may also be a factor. That's why I stick to a certain socket type and modify it a bit, as get a really good fit that way
Lemaru

Post by Lemaru »

Here's a little guide Sukkoperra put together after I gave him some tips regarding the socket. It really does help with the fit and connection

https://github.com/SukkoPera/OpenAmiga6 ... tRework.md
kludge

Post by kludge »

Lemaru wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:13 pm It's a bit of a mixed bag but guess it's partially due to some people using different firmwares at a guess.

When I get chance I'll clean the files up and send them over. Had to go KiCad rather than eagle due to the board size.
:cheer: I'm using KiCad for almost everything now, so that's very ok.
Lemaru wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:13 pm From experience with the vampire and ram expansions on the a600, it's often that most of any stability issues are caused by a poor connection between PLCC socket and CPU, so that may also be a factor. That's why I stick to a certain socket type and modify it a bit, as get a really good fit that way
I'm modifying the PLCC sockets as well, but I'm not sanding them down. Maybe that's the problem. I don't have the exact same socket type, but I have a buttload of them, so I'm not going to switch unless I have to :D
A kludge is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

My lack of focus:
[ 4 * Amiga 500 ][ Amiga 500+ ][ 2 * Amiga 600 ][ A1200 ][ Amiga 2000 w/ A2386 ][ Amiga 4000/030 w/ CyberVision 64 3D, FastLane SCSI Z3 ][ CD32 ][ VIC-20 ][ 4 * C64 Breadbin ][ 5 * C64C ][ 2 * C128 ][ C128D ][ C64 DTV ][ Mac Classic ][ Mac Classic II ][ Mac Colour Classic ]
Lemaru

Post by Lemaru »

Definitely try the sanding down till the edge it flush with the top of the pins. The socket then sits much lower and grips the CPU better. The vampire and Furia cards usually have the socket already sanded down in this way when you get them. The vampire FAQ also mentions to do it if you get stability issues.

I can actually lift my whole Amiga, floppy drive and case, by the PLCC alone once it's sanded down. Before it would pop off really easily
Lemaru

Post by Lemaru »

The PLCCs in the photos in the guide aren't the ones I use, but I generally got for Amp or Augat sockets as after trying several on ram boards, and replacements on vampires, they are the best I have come across. I do have 20x 3M sockets too which work when sanded down, but until that's done they aren't a great fit to use upside down and not too stable.

Just a shame the sockets I go for are discontinued, but seem to be plenty new old stock available various places
Danoo

Post by Danoo »

Lemaru wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:25 pm
Just a shame the sockets I go for are discontinued, but seem to be plenty new old stock available various places
Just ordered a few Augat PLCC68 sockets, plenty still available at this stage.

Thank you @Lemaru and @kludge for this adapter board, will be sending an order off to JLC for a few of these when the gerbers are available :)

Have you tried a TF534 with the adapter?
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Danoo wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:52 am Have you tried a TF534 with the adapter?
I did, veeery quickly. It did not boot. So don’t quote me on it. I have to try again to be sure.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

go0se wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:47 am @alenppc You forgot the mention the CDTV.... and the fact that a relocator exists for that one is your fault in the first place! :lol:
You are absolutely right but I refuse to acknowledge the CDTV cause then people will ask me to build them a card for one and I refuse to do so :lol:
Lemaru

Post by Lemaru »

Thanks to @alenppc for the older firmware (pre A2000 fix). This thing is now working great in my A600s, and also with KS3.1 and the 1mb ChipRAM expansion fitted.

Nice to have the '030 A600 back after all these years.

Not actually had any issues at all yet. Get about 2.5 to 4mb/s from the IDE, depending on what CF or SD card and adaptor I use. Nice little boost that.

I will try and find time to sort the files out a little better once I'm on my next off shift from work and get them up online. I'll stick the link up here when done.

And thanks Stephen for the great (and insanely affordable) board. This thing is awesome and has rekindled my love for tinkering with the real hardware again.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Now that I had more time, I can confirm that neither the 530 nor the 534 boot on the A600.

Return to “TF536”