PLCC to DIP adaptor - TF536 on A600

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Lemaru

Re: PLCC to DIP adaptor - TF536 on A600

Post by Lemaru »

I'll see if I can find time in the next week or so to work in it a bit. I just want to try and give it a bit more room, as currently to fit under the keyboard the DIP socket needs to be mounted at an angle so the TF card sits lower at the front than the rear. I expect that will still be the case but even a few millimetres will help a bit.
Danoo

Post by Danoo »

Lemaru wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:44 pm
Danoo wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:41 am
Any progress, or have you put the project to bed?
I haven't had much time recently to be honest. I still have to tweak the design a little, then I'll probably get some more boards made.

I would of stuck the files up already, but have had people requesting the Gerbers, which implies they just want to sell them (probably at a stupid markup). So as this first version was just a test to see how it works and fits, I would rather release it in a more finalised state.

I may have a spare board of the test batch if you wanted to test one.
No problem, happy to wait was just interested if the project was still alive. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
Lemaru

Post by Lemaru »

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay with this, but I have now uploaded the files to GitHub. I have also created a second version which I have not tested as yet as am still waiting on the boards to arrive.

This second version "should" allow the TF536 to sit at the required angle for it to overhang the lip at the rear of the A600 case (might be worth putting some insulation tape on the edge of the RF shield). The mock-up I made worked OK, so hopefully the physical adaptor will do to. For the socket to sit at the required angle, you can use a row of socket strip under the upper row of pins on the DIP socket like this.....
DIP-Socket1.jpg
DIP-Socket1.jpg (33.04 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
DIP-Socket2.jpg
DIP-Socket2.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
All details can be found in the readme files.

https://github.com/LemaruX/Amiga-A600-68k-PLCC2DIP

https://github.com/LemaruX/Amiga-A600-68k-PLCC2DIP-v2

Hopefully it maybe of use to some of you. I used a creative commons share alike license so feel free to re-work it however you like, but please share any modifications that you make.
Aeberbach

Post by Aeberbach »

Thanks Lemaru, great job!
Danoo

Post by Danoo »

Thanks @Lemaru (and @kludge for original design), this will be one of my 2021 projects :D
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
Lemaru

Post by Lemaru »

Just an FYI as people are already pestering me for Gerbers. They are all on the GitHub

The V2 hasn't yet been tested to confirm fit, though the mock up did work so hopefully it will.

And if anyone does sell this, please don't take the Gipsy Kiss with the pricing. It's a PCB with nothing more than two resistors and two sockets, it doesn't cost much to make at all.
olivier.jan

Post by olivier.jan »

Hi, sorry for a slightly off-topic post, but I was wondering how this works.
When you're using a PLCC adapter on top of the existing CPU, this CPU keeps working, so you do have both the original CPU and the one on the TF working at the same time, this surely should cause issues on the bus ?
Surely I missed something :?
Retro stuff
520 STF/ 1040 STE / Mega ST / 2 Mega STE / 2 H5
2 x 600XL with U1MB /SOFIA 2/ AVG CART / and a few 1050
Apple //c, Commodore 128, Mac Classic, SE/30, LC, IIvi and PB G3 (Clamshell)
Amiga 600 and a few 486 and 386.
Many Nintendo G&W and other electronic games from the late 70s/early 80s.
Lemaru

Post by Lemaru »

It disables the onboard CPU by pulling BR down to ground, leaving whatever is in the DIP socket to take control, so no issues with the bus. There's a few other threads on here about it that are worth a read if you are interested.

The early Furia S628 card used the same method to disable the onboard CPU too according to the schematics for it.

And no issues from the TF536 with kickstart 2.0 or 3.1 so far as long as the correct firmware is used (nor when using a cheap 68010).
culexus

Post by culexus »

Testing out this PLCC to DIP adaptor I found at pcbway and it looks like it is doing what it should. So next step will be to build the TF536 and see how it will performe.

How is rest of you doing? still using this in your A600 or is it not a good solution ?

full
full
Full.jpg (298.11 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
close
close
close.jpg (337.3 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

Oh man, this might just make my day. Along with the Buffee this makes the A600 the killer Amiga.
IDE, PCMCIA and a stupidly fast 68k cpu in the small form factor is going to elevate it into something special.

Thank you, I shall get some made up :)

Return to “TF536”