TF536 Bugs

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

LIV2

Re: TF536 Bugs

Post by LIV2 »

There's no end of entitled jerks in the world which makes it hard to be bothered with this stuff, can't blame you for not wanting to do it. You'd even be well within your rights to unleash a bunch of expletives at these people IMHO.

Just thought I'd say thanks for the work you've done, I've learnt a lot from your projects.
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

Too many self entitled people I think! Water off a ducks back, ignore it and move forward. There are lots of us that are grateful for everything you've gifted to the community!!! The only bug I've heard about on the 536 is this corruption thing, but I've not seen it myself yet. Maybe its because I am using buffered IDE, or maybe I've just not copied anything big enough over. In any case I wouldnt dream of insisting anyone fixes it lol - I bought and build it knowing it was a stepping stone and may have the odd minor issue, but it does what I got it for - play games from a pre-setup CF card.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:41 pm https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

I dont see how you can enforce this for firmware defects. if you could every software company in the UK would be out of business.
Problem is , it doesn't mention WIP stuff. You never once said anything was a final design. Everything is WIP or prototypes.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

exxos wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:20 pm
terriblefire wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:41 pm https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

I dont see how you can enforce this for firmware defects. if you could every software company in the UK would be out of business.
Problem is , it doesn't mention WIP stuff. You never once said anything was a final design. Everything is WIP or prototypes.
Yes, it was a working "evolving" prototype - never was it a completed product. My satellite box keeps failing to record programs since a firmware update a few months ago. I probably dont have a leg to stand on in terms of getting a refund on it lol.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:24 pm Yes, it was a working "evolving" prototype - never was it a completed product. My satellite box keeps failing to record programs since a firmware update a few months ago. I probably dont have a leg to stand on in terms of getting a refund on it lol.
Yeah exactly! and that is a commercial product!
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Danoo

Post by Danoo »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:59 pm Too many self entitled people I think! Water off a ducks back, ignore it and move forward. There are lots of us that are grateful for everything you've gifted to the community!!! The only bug I've heard about on the 536 is this corruption thing, but I've not seen it myself yet. Maybe its because I am using buffered IDE, or maybe I've just not copied anything big enough over. In any case I wouldnt dream of insisting anyone fixes it lol - I bought and build it knowing it was a stepping stone and may have the odd minor issue, but it does what I got it for - play games from a pre-setup CF card.
Hit the nail right on the head @GadgetUK164, also why all my social media accounts have ended up in the dunny, too many self entitled block-heads forcing their opinions

What bugs !!!! I have never found any, my TF536's have been superb upgrades for the 500 & 2000 thank you @terriblefire

DIY project warranty really!!!, geez will they get there hand off it, just say thank you, that Stephen shared his passion for 30 year old hardware with all us peeps
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
Arch691

Post by Arch691 »

I can’t believe how these people think.

Stephen’s always made amazing hobby firmware which just so happens to have off the shelf parts that make the firmware do magic and the software is free at no point has Stephen charged a license and used gpl so:-

“ BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES”

The pcb that just so happens to attach all the components to again has not been sold under license. So yet again no warranty required.

Anyone creating the cards are only required money back for standard distance selling.

So anyone buying any card is buying the components not the pcb or firmware they are free. ;-)

Your hobby projects are amazing enjoy tinkering and doing your own thing. You are a ledge down in the community and the bullies can take a hike. You're Scottish after all. One on there napper comes to mind.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Arch691 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:55 pm Anyone creating the cards are only required money back for standard distance selling.

So anyone buying any card is buying the components not the pcb or firmware they are free. ;-)
It's a good point really. Taking a free product and building it for a fee, that is a service, people are just building it up for others, which is nothing more than a service. If people don't want an otherwise free product, then they don't pay for someone to built it for them. Stuff for free generally has some issue which may take time to debug etc, that's how the world works. Like I said earlier, if this was a commercial product, then it would involve commercial prices and commercial support. As TF says, he gets nothing, so nothing is being sold by him, he has zero obligations to support a free product.

IMO, any builders of such cards should state they are only charging for the service to assemble the product and test in their own machine. After that, people shouldn't expect the world for something which was designed for free. But they do, because people are idiots. If they want it all to work out of the box, they send their machine for the card to be fitted and pay a premium for that work to be done and fully tested.
jaycee_1980

Post by jaycee_1980 »

Felt the need to join and put my comments on this, as i was involved with the thread on Facebook.

People really dont seem to get what open source hardware means. It means a design someone's put into the community for others to build themselves, with no warranty that the thing will actually work. I dont believe open source licenses currently cover hardware very well, but if we look at the BSD 3 clause license, this is clearly stated:
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Particularly in there, " MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE". This means, if it doesn't work for you, tough titty. I was absolutely horrified when James brought up UK consumer law.

While I'm not a great hardware designer I did have plans for a clockport connected network card... the idea was i would design and build it, write some test code to make sure communicating with the network chip works, and then open up the design so that someone more knowlegable than me could write a SANA-II driver for it. Since everything with TerribleFire happened, I have questioned whether I really want people producing the hardware without my knowlege, making money off of something i've given away for free, and getting all of the grief if it doesn't work due to issues outside of my control. My conclusion was that I don't want the hassle... so the design will stay on my hard disk and i'll maybe at some point produce a few of them for people I know to play with. I certainly won't be open sourcing the design now, and if I do it will have a license that says "Commercial production without my authorisation is strictly prohibited"
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Honestly.. Its this sort of entitled behaviour why only my friends get cards from me now. Its simply not worth it.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."

Return to “TF536”