Built my first TF536

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

obitus1990

Built my first TF536

Post by obitus1990 »

IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0888.jpg (309.51 KiB) Viewed 4039 times
That was fun! Thanks, Exxos, for the PCB, and, for pre-populating the underside of the card.

Unfortunately, I ran out of round pin headers last week, and am still waiting on them to arrive from California. USPS is so messed up right now -- they arrived at my local postal distribution center here in Louisiana earlier this week, only to be sent to Nebraska the next day.

Does it have to be plugged into the 68000 socket to program the CPLD, or, is enough power supplied from the JTAG to do so?

Thanks!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Built my first TF536

Post by terriblefire »

The JTAG connector doesnt supply power. It uses that pin as a reference for what voltage to use programming the chip. Its literally a Vref.

Some kind of power is required.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Danoo

Post by Danoo »

Nice soldering, hopefully an instant success when you have programmed the CPLD and fitted the pin strips. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
obitus1990

Post by obitus1990 »

Can I connect a 5v source to the two pin header in the center of the 68000 socket's silkscreen for power?

I converted the .jed to an .svf file and tried to program it using a USBFlashcat, but kept encountering an error that
the "JTAG chain wasn't valid because not all devices have BSDL loaded." Is this related to not having power to the board?

Guess I'll have to break down and get a Xilinx cable and install iMPACT.
LADmachining

Post by LADmachining »

obitus1990 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:27 am Can I connect a 5v source to the two pin header in the center of the 68000 socket's silkscreen for power?

I converted the .jed to an .svf file and tried to program it using a USBFlashcat, but kept encountering an error that
the "JTAG chain wasn't valid because not all devices have BSDL loaded." Is this related to not having power to the board?

Guess I'll have to break down and get a Xilinx cable and install iMPACT.
Yes, apply external power using the two header pins near the regulator.

There is a way of programming the CPLD with a Raspbery Pi that is documented on the TF github pages.

Anthony
obitus1990

Post by obitus1990 »

LADmachining wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:32 am
There is a way of programming the CPLD with a Raspbery Pi that is documented on the TF github pages.

Anthony
I thought the github pages were "rm -rf" except for the binaries?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

If you use the Pi don't connect the Vcc/3.3V reference connection. It's dangerous.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
obitus1990

Post by obitus1990 »

I asked the manufacturer (embeddedcomputers.net) of my FlashCatUSB programmer about this CPLD, which is listed as a supported device in the programming software's docs. He stated he would fix it by the end of next week, so, I will hold off on buying the Xilinx cable, or, using the Pi.
obitus1990

Post by obitus1990 »

FlashCatUSB was updated to handle the Xilinx, so I tried to program the CPLD tonight, to no avail. Let me know if I have done this correctly:

Open ISE iMPACT, start a new project, and manually create a boundary scan file. Save said boundary scan file, then, when prompted, open the .jed to identify the CPLD. Then, start recording the .svf file, starting with a blank check, then an erase, program, and then verify command. After this, I have iMPACT stop recording the .SVF file. I then load FlashCatUSB software, which detects that it needs to be working in JTAG mode automatically and detects the CPLD correctly. It prompts me to load the SVF file into its SVF player, which I do, but, it errors out as per the following capture from the console window. I have also tried recording the SVF with only a program and verify command (to keep the recording as simple as possible), with the same result. I don't have a Xilinx cable, so I haven't tried this any other way. I was trying to avoid buying yet another programmer that I will likely only use once or twice, but, if I have to, I will.

Did I do something incorrectly, or, is it related to using this third party programmer?

Thanks!

Code: Select all

Connected to FlashcatUSB Classic, firmware version: 4.53
JTAG TCK speed: 1 MHz
JTAG chain detected: 1 devices
JTAG TDI IR chain size: 8 bits
Index 0: JEDEC ID 0x59616093 (XC95288XL)
JTAG engine setup successfully
JTAG index 0 selected: Xilinx XC95288XL (IR length 8)
Checking for a device specific script to automatically load
No script files available
Loading FlashcatUSB script: SVF_Player.fcs
Script successfully loaded
Button Hander::Calling Event: RunSVF
Running SVF file...
Running SVF file in internal JTAG SVF player
SVF Player: Failed sending SDR command (line index: 21)     
SVF Player: TDO: 0x00000001
SVF Player: Expected: 0xF9616093
SVF Player: Mask: 0x0FFFFFFF
Error playing the SVF file
Error while executing SVF file
Button Hander::Calling Event: Done
Disconnected from FlashcatUSB Classic device
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

@obitus1990

I took me a long time to make Impact working correctly.

Have you considered using RaspberryPi for programming?
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem

Return to “TF536”