New TF 536 build - I need help!

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: New TF 536 build - I need help!

Post by terriblefire »

Vypr wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:44 pm After replacing the oscillator again I have found something new. I can boot to DiagROM if, and only if, I put pressure on the 68000 socket area.
Once it has started booting I can let go and DiagROM boots fine and all tests pass. CIA & IRQ tests OK, keyboar dis fine, 64Mb FAST RAM checks out OK, I can even CTRL-A-A and it will reboot fine but if I power off and back on again without pushing down on the board, it won;t boot.

I'm very confused now.
Sounds like a 68000 socket issue. are you using a relocator ?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Vypr

Post by Vypr »

terriblefire wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:56 pm
Sounds like a 68000 socket issue. are you using a relocator ?
No, got it stacked onto spare 68000 turned pin socket which lifts it high enough over the ROM chip, same one I used on my TK card.
Even without the socket there is enough clearance but the same issue. I tried resoldering all the pins in case one of them was a cold joint but no joy.

I take it it's normal that the 'Test Detected FastRAM" option fails? Since Manual test of the memory range 40000000-43000000 passes with no issues.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Sounds like a bad connection/broken trace.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Vypr humour me with this, try pushing down on the motherboard itself and not on the TF536, it could be a bad a500 cpu socket or like my 500+ had, a bad rom socket.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Vypr

Post by Vypr »

PhilC wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:29 am @Vypr humour me with this, try pushing down on the motherboard itself and not on the TF536, it could be a bad a500 cpu socket or like my 500+ had, a bad rom socket.
I did try that, A bit awkward as I have an Indivision plugged into the Denise socket which makes getting something down there to push on the board tricky but there was no joy. I might add that the issue is replicable on another 500 board.
The old A500 board has the older style socket while the 500++ has turned pin sockets, both exhibit the same issue.

I've noticed that it is pressure at the bottom end where the IDE socket is that affects it the most so I am going to try removing the buffer chips and replace the resistor networks to see if that helps.
Vypr

Post by Vypr »

We have a winner! Looks like it was an issue with the buffer chips.with IC4, IC5 & IC6 removed DiagROM boots up without needing to have the board pushed down.
Replaced the ROM chip with a 3.1.4 and succesfully booted into the System Test disk. All memory is seen and tes OK. I cna live without the buffered IDE, worst comes to the worst I have a spare IDEFix board I can plug into it.

Thanks you to everyone who helped and offerred advice, Much appreciated!

Return to “TF536”