PSU bracket remake ?

All information relating to the Alpha plus all the WIP threads etc.
sandord

Re: PSU bracket remake ?

Post by sandord »

alienkidmj12 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:24 pm congrats ;) :ugeek: any stl for the nice piece of work :)
Thanks. I'll first have to open up the holes (there's an error in the model that causes the STL export to have closed holes). I think I'll have time tomorrow evening. I'm sure I will find more issues when printing it so I'm a little reluctant of posting the STL files before having done at least one print myself. This will probably save me from embarrasment :lol:
sandord

Post by sandord »

I worked on the bracket yesterday but got a little frustrated, Sketchup is really working against me now, can't get those holes to open up and other problems are suddenly arising... Will try again this weekend. I might have to redo parts of the design, but that won't be a lot of work since it will be a matter of replication, not re-design.
troed

Post by troed »

sandord wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:03 pm I worked on the bracket yesterday but got a little frustrated, Sketchup is really working against me now, can't get those holes to open up and other problems are suddenly arising... Will try again this weekend. I might have to redo parts of the design, but that won't be a lot of work since it will be a matter of replication, not re-design.
You should really move to using Fusion 360 instead. Takes more time to get into, but everything becomes easily solvable.
sandord

Post by sandord »

troed wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:00 pm You should really move to using Fusion 360 instead. Takes more time to get into, but everything becomes easily solvable.
Thanks, I'll take that to heart. I was already thinking of getting rid of Sketchup since their recent commercial endeavours. I hate the free online version, currently using a free desktop version from a year or so ago.

Will take a look tomorrow, curious how it'll be.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

I too use the free Sketchup version and once you start running into face not properly closed issue.... like you see them closed in Sketchup, export the STL, load the STL ... HOLES ... EVERY-F#$%%ING-WHERE ...
I've installed Fusion but I haven't started learning it ... and I hate AutoDesk for what they did to EagleCad ...
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
sandord

Post by sandord »

troed wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:00 pm You should really move to using Fusion 360 instead. Takes more time to get into, but everything becomes easily solvable.
Wow, €502 per year subscription... That's a bummer.
troed

Post by troed »

sandord wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:55 am
Wow, €502 per year subscription... That's a bummer.
Uh no no no. Free for hobbyist use.
sandord

Post by sandord »

troed wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:30 am Uh no no no. Free for hobbyist use.
Phew, that's a relieve.

In mean time I was experimenting with http://solvespace.com, which has some really nice constraint mechanisms. Working with those feels very assuring, it's something I've always missed in Sketchup. You know how easy it is to mess up something that is supposed to stay in proportion to something else. In the PSU bracket, for example, I could define a constraint that ensures the legs are always perpendicular to the bracket.

Right now I'm playing with Fusion 360, let's see if it can do constaints ;-)
sandord

Post by sandord »

sandord wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:10 am ...let's see if it can do constaints ;-)
Well, that didn't take long :D
sandord

Post by sandord »

I quite like this program, I did the sketch for the bracket base today, fully constrained. That was the easy part, I'm afraid I've got some learning to do before I can draw the legs, back panel etc. and compose everyhing together.

I'm going for it anyway but it won't be finished anytime soon :(

Return to “ALPHA DEVELOPMENT INFO”