MONGREL REMAKE H4 COMPETITION

Topic for users to share their building progress.
JezC

Re: MONGREL REMAKE H4 COMPETITION

Post by JezC »

@exxos yes, I had seen your comments about the likely price but hadn't thought to look at the BOM for the details :smackbum: :headbang: :chairsmack: :blonde: :sorry: :stickwhack: :cussing:

I will check what is missing and what I can liberate from one of my ST's & put in an order for the remainder plus some other items, though I understand that you can't ship much with the boards (and case).
Mind you, when sending presents to the extended family a couple of weeks ago, we managed to get a lot of different sized and weight parcels all shipped together as one shipment (to one address) & that was £16 for the lot. Could that be an option in the UK?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Its possible but its not so simple. My girlfriend does all the orders and she lives 40 miles away and I have zero involvement with store items being shipped, its like ordering stuff from RS and Rapid and wanting them to ship in the same package.

Shipping the H4 with parts was a nightmare. I have to part pack stuff up here, keep track of who's who and who's ordered what. Then my girlfriend has piles of boxes with all sorts lay around waiting for my stuff. Roll on weekend when i go and see her, assuming I remember to take the stuff I half packed up.. We then have to sort out what goes to who , pack it up , then in have to bring all the stuff back here again as she hasn't room to store anything, then I have to weigh and email people payment links, half then time waiting hours to weeks for people to pay , then remember to to take stuff back to my girlfriends on the weekend where its a huge rush to get to the post office before 11am to post the stuff. She can't do it as she has to walk half hour carrying the stuff each day to post stuff so I have to take them in my van. With all that the receipt ended up a mile long and all the tracking codes have to be sorted out. Of course its just overview .

We been trying to sort this "problem" out for years. My store is all automated, stuff gets ordered, it gets packed and shipped mostly same day, done. When something else happens like adding bits I sell on here with a store order, it drags on for days, and myself and girlfriend end up mostly in confusion of what's what and mostly one of us end up forgetting something, then its remembering to sort it out and then roll on another week.

Its really hard to explain, it sounds really simple to just ship items together, but with a week and 40 miles "delay" between those things coming together and likelyhood of something being forgotten in between.. Mix in everything else which goes on in my day as well and Multiply all of the above 30 times and that's the nightmare of the H4 shipping.

Its why the reaming H4s won't be shipped with store items. I've had a nightmare with boxes with shipping them to the point it takes up to 2 hours to pack 1 board up. In order to keep the prices low in packing, the package will not be very tall. Adding parts into the package is risking damage as there's only like 2cm space . similar problem when I shipped the previous H4 orders. I have to spend ages messing about with it all to try and keep items in the small package limits and trying to squash items in the boxes without getting squashed or likely get damaged in transit. Several packages ended up over the small package limit and in had to cut everything down and repack it all again. In just can't do that as packing 1 box hurts my fingers just putting tape on it, never mind I spent 2 days cutting cardboard down and my fingers are still in pain from all that now :(

its a struggle for me to deal with anything sales related, its why my girlfriend thankfully takes care of it all, otherwise I would have to close my store as I just couldn't pack the boxes, because of my fingers and time involved, which I don't have. I don't have time to go posting stuff either, i hate going into town as there's nowhere to park and just ended up driving around in circles and giving up in the end. Its why stuff also gets delayed as I can park outside my girlfriends post office but again, she's 40 mikes away.

Anyway, this wasn't intended to be a rant or anything :) I'm trying trying to get people to see things behind the scenes. Its not just a matter of get store items and put them in the box, get old ram expansions put them in the same box, tape box up, done. There is many more steps over many days which greatly increases things going wrong. If it personally did everything like a single seller on evilbay, then yes it would be simple, but again, I don't have time to pack and ship items, and with my fingers I can't physically do them anyway. If I did all the posting relating things, I'd have to quit hardware development as wouldn't have time, so my girlfriend takes care of my store shipping. Though while this gets the job done, it has "side effects" in all I said above.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@exxos I know how much effort, time and money you put into your shop, let alone the designs themselves.
It really is appreciated by us all.
You need to make sure that your rewards from it all justify the effort expended.
If things ship separately so be it, not a big problem anyway.

I was wondering about getting another ST case or two from you but I can see that will add loads more work again. Maybe something for the future...

I keep driving around parts of the country collecting synths etc. I have bought...no packaging required & you have control of how they are handled.

Really grateful for everything you contribute, just wish I could help out more.
:thanksyellow: :thanksblue: :cheers:
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

@exxos and I have been collating the days based on our knowledge of when people received their boards and when we saw a working H4.

So we are proud to announce the following list of build times. If we missed anyone or you think we have something wrong feel free to post:
  1. @exxos & @Icky - 7 days (Winners) - :twisted:
  2. @PaulJ - 10 days
  3. @PhilC - 17 days
  4. @btl - 20 days
  5. @kodak80 k80 - 33 days
  6. @derkom - 31 days
  7. @DoG - 34 days
We will be announcing the prizes shortly to the winners :hide: , runners up and the booby prize
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Even though nobody AFAIK posted a image as outlined in the compo terms, so technically everyone is disqualified anyway :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
derkom

Post by derkom »

Icky wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:43 pm
  1. @derkom - 31 days
I got the board on 21.11 and posted a shot of GEMBench on 26.12, which is 36 days by my calculation. However, the board wasn't actually running solid until 08.01, which is 47 days.

It just depends on how generous you want to be with your definition of "working". :mrgreen:
exxos wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:49 pm Even though nobody AFAIK posted a image as outlined in the compo terms, so technically everyone is disqualified anyway :lol:
I noticed this, but decided not to rock the boat. :mrgreen: Thought about posting the sole qualifying photo yesterday and claiming the win. :lol:
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

I am so surprised no one has noticed that @exxos and I have broken one of the rules :) in my last post. Probably two rules.

@derkom - I went off of your posting of the GB6 image. What’s a few days here or there.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:11 pm I am so surprised no one has noticed that @exxos and I have broken one of the rules :) in my last post. Probably two rules.
I am not surprised at all :lol: :twisted:

:clown:
DoG

Post by DoG »

Icky wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:43 pm...
  1. @exxos & @Icky - 7 days (Winners) - :twisted:
Icky wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:11 pm...
I am so surprised no one has noticed that @exxos and I have broken one of the rules :) in my last post. Probably two rules.
7 days? Started 21 Nov and posted a GB6 pic 4 dec. That's 13 days.... :lol: And exxos hasn't even started yet... ;) :shock:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

DoG wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:00 pm 7 days? Started 21 Nov and posted a GB6 pic 4 dec. That's 13 days.... :lol: And exxos hasn't even started yet... ;) :shock:
We held off posting a image on the forum for about a week. We both were working on Ickys board (well icky was soldering). How do you think I was posting fixes before any sign of a booting board ;)

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”