Smonson's slow H4 build

Topic for users to share their building progress.
Smonson

Re: Smonson's slow H4 build

Post by Smonson »

troed wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:24 pm You can create your own TOS E00000 decoder with a GAL16V8 and some old schematics IIRC.
I also found a document that explains how to do it with 3 logic ICs, which seems straightforward (https://tietokone.ntrautanen.fi/atari/s ... s206up.htm). I can probably set it up on perfboard, and keep it in one of the unused CPU sockets on the H4. Those GALs aren't so easy to get anymore, and I don't know how to use them anyway, so I'll probably go with the 74s. I think I even have the ones I need already.
mfro

Post by mfro »

Smonson wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:30 am Unfortunately 12.0sp2 is the last version for cyclone-2. It's a 32-bit application and that's the reason why the new Ubuntu can't run it. I can still run it on Windows actually - I didn't even think about that when I first mentioned it - probably because using Windows for software development is even more inconvenient than walking from room to room ;)

Eventually I'll get a bigger SSD for my laptop, then I can run it in a VM.
Hmmm. My 13.0sp1 (64 bit) happily creates configs (Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian testing that I both hesitate to upgrade) for my Cyclone II devices here.

ldd says that no Quartus component is using 32 bit libraries. My understanding is that ModelSim is the only part in that version that requires 32 bit capabilities. As new kernels are still able to execute 32 bit user programs - it should be possible to make these run on latest Ubuntu as well?
And remember: Beethoven wrote his first symphony in C.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

You should be able to install the 32 bit compatibility libraries. "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch"
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

mfro wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:02 pm Hmmm. My 13.0sp1 (64 bit) happily creates configs (Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian testing that I both hesitate to upgrade) for my Cyclone II devices here.
Ahhh you're right, it was 13.0sp1... I thought I got that info off Intel's site, but perhaps I made some mistake. Well, either way, same problem - if it is a real problem. As for the 32-bit part, I could not get the installer to successfully install the software. So, perhaps a bad assumption on my part, but this disclaimer made me think I had found the reason:

Code: Select all

** On 64-bit operating systems you must install 32-bit compatibility libraries before installing the Quartus II software.
stephen_usher wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:09 pm You should be able to install the 32 bit compatibility libraries. "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch"
Well I originally saw reporting that Canonical had dropped support for 32-bit support libraries with this release, but google says they changed their mind, which is great news to me! https://ubuntu.com/blog/statement-on-32 ... -20-04-lts

I just have to get past the installer.

Thanks for the info, @mfro and @stephen_usher :)
mfro

Post by mfro »

Smonson wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:23 pm... Well I originally saw reporting that Canonical had dropped support for 32-bit support libraries with this release, but google says they changed their mind, which is great news to me! https://ubuntu.com/blog/statement-on-32 ... -20-04-lts
The 32bit libraries are - to my knowledge - only required for ModelSim and the 32 bit Quartus binary. If you start quartus as 64bit version (quartus --64bit), no 32 bit library should be required.
And remember: Beethoven wrote his first symphony in C.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Here's my plan for the ROM decoder. These chips are all tiny so it'd all be on top of (or under) the CPU apart from the ROM socket. Is that how other projects have handled LDS/UDS - through an AND gate?

256krom.png
256krom.png (61 KiB) Viewed 8504 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Smonson wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:43 am Here's my plan for the ROM decoder. These chips are all tiny so it'd all be on top of (or under) the CPU apart from the ROM socket. Is that how other projects have handled LDS/UDS - through an AND gate?
You don't need to bother with LDS/UDS for ROM.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Indeed, UDS and LDS are for writes only.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

If you are just using U4 for DTACK.. I really would not bother, just use a diode and tie to ROM_OE...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

exxos wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:00 pm If you are just using U4 for DTACK.. I really would not bother, just use a diode and tie to ROM_OE...
Does this give sufficient delay though?

This is my ROM decode logic:
rom-decode.jpg
rom-decode.jpg (135.51 KiB) Viewed 8493 times

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”