JezC H4 Build - in slow time

Topic for users to share their building progress.
PhilC

Re: JezC H4 Build - in slow time

Post by PhilC »

@JezC if you can, do the DAC fix first as the image you'll get otherwise won't help when trying to see if its working or not. I thjnk it was a mostly black image
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
JezC

Post by JezC »

Ok, @PhilC thanks for the warning...but I might see if I can see anything on the display to give some indication of whether anything is actually running or not...

Other than the keyboard & PSU, it's only the custom chips that I have seen running in an actual ST up to this point: all the other components I'm using are new/pulls including the 27C4096 EPROM (not an OTP part) and that has an untried (by me) image (thanks @rubber_jonnie for supplying that) which is the first 27C4096 I've programmed on my TL866 with a modified PLCC to DIP carrier!

So, if I see enough to know it's got some way through the booting process, that would give me a lot more confidence in the assembly & devices fitted (not to mention the fixes I have tried to implement).

You never know...it might get as far as the desktop :lol:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

you could always connect the serial up?
JezC

Post by JezC »

PhilC wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:07 pm you could always connect the serial up?
Possibly...but I don't yet have a ROM with DiagROM or similar programmed to fit internally & none to connect externally (and no cartridge port fitted yet even if I did have) :lol:

I'll give it a very brief try in a moment & report back...then I know whether to erase & program up another EPROM with DiagROM or do the DAC mod when I can...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Well, to quote a work colleague...."Fook Mui" (he claims it's his favourite oriental meal <cough>)

I saw a flickering screen with moments of a stable video image to confirm it's TOS 1.04 + 4M ST RAM...then occasional glimpses of the familiar green desktop (and that wonderful animated colour Fuji logo)!

:yay: :yay2: :dualthumbup: :cheer: :excited: :cheers:

Oh, and not forgetting
:girldance: :girldance: :girldance:

So, better sort out that DAC mod & some way to connect & power a floppy or Gotek...and then see if that fixes the video flicker or if I've got to delve deeper to sort that out.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Yaaay

:girldance: :girldance: :girldance:
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

...and while out walking the dog in the rain...my brain finally started working... :shock:

So, after feeding the animals (the furry kind, not the kids) I sloped off to the study & dug out my external floppy drive (which is sporting a Gotek drive at present), swapped the jumpers to make the external drive act as drive A (thanks @exxos - a wonderful feature that!).

After a few moments sorting out the cables etc. I now have my first H4 booting from the floppy drive & it can run sysinfo & even GB6 (running at the moment).

Results will follow at some point soon (I can't find the correct base comparison for an 8MHz STFM with TOS 1.04 & no blitter etc. yet, though I know it's been posted on the forum somewhere... :shrug: ).

But that counts as a good result for me: even without the DAC patch I've got a good bright (almost too bright!) colour image from this board so I will have to fire up some game or other to really test it - after the GB6 test has completed...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Here we go...first image is to show it's actually the H4 connected up to the monitor (for any doubting Thomas' out there...) while the second shows the GB6 results against a TOS 2.06 + Blitter system...and the jaunty angle is there to trigger anyone with worse OCD than I have! :lol:
H4_no_1_gb6_system.jpg
H4_no_1_gb6_system.jpg (173.87 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
H4_no_1_gb6_results.jpg
H4_no_1_gb6_results.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
Now all I need is a nice beverage to celebrate! :logo: :cheers:
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

JezC wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:03 pm Now all I need is a nice beverage to celebrate! :logo: :cheers:
@JezC - PM me with your details and I'll send you an H4 mug for your beverage :)

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”