JezC H4 Build - in slow time

Topic for users to share their building progress.
DoG

Re: JezC H4 Build - in slow time

Post by DoG »

PhilC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:12 pm @DoG can I be cheeky again and ask for the details of the decoder. I might see if I can incorporate it somehow on top of the tf536
I'll PM you schematics and board.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

DoG wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:20 pm
PhilC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:12 pm @DoG can I be cheeky again and ask for the details of the decoder. I might see if I can incorporate it somehow on top of the tf536
I'll PM you schematics and board.
@DoG thank you sir.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

JezC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:38 pm @PhilC pretty much...all the kudos should go to @agranlund really.

Once I work out how to run v1.0 EmuTOS I will post that too...all a learning curve.
You may want to try this one instead, it's EmuTOS1.0 with patched memory detection.
(My machine is a bit disassembled at the moment but it did work in Hatari at least :lol: )
EmuTOS_TF53x.zip
(225.98 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
I believe the old executable may have been hardcoded to only use 4MB?
JezC

Post by JezC »

agranlund wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 pm
JezC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:38 pm @PhilC pretty much...all the kudos should go to @agranlund really.

Once I work out how to run v1.0 EmuTOS I will post that too...all a learning curve.
You may want to try this one instead, it's EmuTOS1.0 with patched memory detection.
(My machine is a bit disassembled at the moment but it did work in Hatari at least :lol: )
EmuTOS_TF53x.zip

I believe the old executable may have been hardcoded to only use 4MB?
@agranlund Thanks a bunch! I will try that in a little while (if I can)...and report back. Do I need to reprogram the boot ROM with the new 192k image...or will it still work with the older 0.9 build as well? I'll probably try it with the older ROM (i.e. just update the .prg file) first as I won't get chance to erase the EPROM & program in a new image this evening...

Yes, the other version only ever reported 4Mb of memory...but I am not familiar with EmuTOS, so I wasn't sure if that was only detecting the ST RAM (which happens to be 4Mb as well)...

Looking forward to trying your ScummVM builds on this in the near future!
JezC

Post by JezC »

@agranlund
Hurrah!

That build works and does indeed detect the 4MB ST as well as 64MB TT RAM...excellent work.

:yay: :yay2: :dualthumbup: :cheer: :thumbup: :bravo: :thanksblue:

I have not yet updated the ROM image...but it does work with the old image anyway :D

Many thanks for this and all your other contributions!
JezC

Post by JezC »

@PhilC Could you please provide me with a link to a working version of Frontier to try on the TF536?

I would love to see the difference compared to a stock ST...
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

JezC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:26 pm @agranlund
Hurrah!
That build works and does indeed detect the 4MB ST as well as 64MB TT RAM...excellent work.
:yay: :yay2: :dualthumbup: :cheer: :thumbup: :bravo: :thanksblue:

I have not yet updated the ROM image...but it does work with the old image anyway :D
Many thanks for this and all your other contributions!
Nice! I'm happy you got it working :dualthumbup:
Yep that older rom image you had should work just as well as. It's just a minimal and silent emutos, enough to launch the auto folder :)

I'm incredibly happy with how the TF534/536 has transformed my humble 520ST and I'm glad to share whatever I did on the Atari side to get it performing on my machine.
Atari accelerators doesn't exactly grow on trees and @terriblefire taking the time and effort to make his Amiga stuff compatible with Atari is such a unique opportunity for our community :)
JezC

Post by JezC »

I hope that my success in repeating your results on the H4 encourages lots more people to follow suit.

Personally, the ability to check the TF536 worked on a pretty much stock system is a huge advantage...even though I plan to eventually put in a decoder for 256k ROMs, this approach allows me the choice of what, when & how.

Thanks again to @agranlund, @exxos, @terriblefire & @PhilC for making this happen...and for all future developments :D
JezC

Post by JezC »

OK, so as recorded on my H5C1 build...I've managed to break my working H4 & now have a near dead short between GND & 5V...

Pulling all the socketed ICs and removing the SIMM/PSU/Keyboard & Floppy has not fixed it, so next step is to try and check all points on the board for potential shorts (as I'm assuming the PCB should still be fine - if not, I'm probably not going to be able to find & fix that problem).

Exxos has suggested using a milliohm meter, so when I'm back in work next week I'll see if we have such a useful piece of kit...

Meanwhile I'd better start compiling a list of the GND/5V connections to check out...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@JezC if you're struggling, I'm happy to take a look at some point?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”