ST FPGA GLUE Development

Progress on our FPGA cores.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

ST FPGA GLUE Development

Post by Icky »

Yesterday I prepped my DEV ST motherboard for development of the GLUE chip similar to the MMU and Blitter FPGA work we have been working on. In addition we have created an FPGA Development section on the forum for all the FPGA projects https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=80

Below is a picture of the mother board with the GLUE and MMU socketed and able to test with original chips using plug in @exxos funky adaptors. @PaulJ and @PhilC bet this picture reminds you of the towers on the ALPHA.

IMG_4799.jpeg
IMG_4799.jpeg (151.62 KiB) Viewed 5419 times

Using the FPGA Dev Kit boards with buffer board combo as in the MMU thread the plug-in FPGA combo just fits with the case peg, bit of a tight fit, not that the top case would ever fit on top of this configuration :)

Now this board is good to do all FPGA testing but ideally I would like to get an H4 setup for such an environment but that is a later stage/project once we have the MMU and GLUE firmware in a better state. You may notice the Blitter socket is slightly different and am going to change that to the same header / jumper combo.

IMG_4796.jpeg
IMG_4796.jpeg (302.08 KiB) Viewed 5419 times

EDIT: For reference is a link to the GLUE Pinout from the IC section on the forum

PaulJ

Re: ST FPGA GLUE Development

Post by PaulJ »

Icky wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:50 am
Below is a picture of the mother board with the GLUE and MMU socketed and able to test with original chips using plug in @exxos funky adaptors. @PaulJ and @PhilC bet this picture reminds you of the towers on the ALPHA.
I bet @exxos is dying of envy. :poke: :coolpics:
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Finally got round to getting some new Shock Absorber boards made, what with assembly shop etc issues and life in general getting in the way on all projects. Basically they are 3V3 <-> 5V translator boards for the QMTech FPGA Dev kit boards and made to go in the PLCC layout on H4 / H5 boards. This enables us to test cores on the H5 whilst we continue to work on the Blitter FPGA boards (Sparkalaphobia) being assembled.

The Shock Absorber allows for Blitter, MMU and GLUE layouts. JLC have run out of the translator chips so have to assemble myself :(

IMG_6248.jpeg
IMG_6248.jpeg (241.93 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
IMG_6249.jpeg
IMG_6249.jpeg (242.75 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:53 am The Shock Absorber allows for Blitter, MMU and GLUE layouts. JLC have run out of the translator chips so have to assemble myself :(
Easy on the voltera ;)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
JezC

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:36 pm Easy on the voltera ;)
...when it works! :lol: :roll: :hide: :fire: :fire: :fire:
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Voltera worked out well and have built up first PLCC adaptor. Used the Blitter socket to help keep the pins inline for soldering.

IMG_6279.jpeg
IMG_6279.jpeg (230.94 KiB) Viewed 4237 times

Next phase to replace the PLCC sockets of the GLUE and MMU to be like the Blitter socket and build up some more boards.

IMG_6280.jpeg
IMG_6280.jpeg (150.06 KiB) Viewed 4237 times

I have found that PLCC sockets fit nicely in those pin sockets and work well so swapping and testing FPGA and originals is nice and easy. Blitter in PLCC in sockets below.

IMG_6281.jpeg
IMG_6281.jpeg (130.77 KiB) Viewed 4237 times
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

Very nice :)
:bravo:
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2

Return to “FPGA DEVELOPMENT”