Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Progress on our FPGA cores.
Darklord

Re: Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Post by Darklord »

Icky wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:45 am Only issue here is no software currently out there exists to use such mods. e.g. to have a game use a 32k palette it would have to be written to use the underlying hardware.
It's been mentioned with the JRI 4096C board that anything that supports the STe palette would work with this
mod as well. So you could see Photochrome pictures on an ST like the STe's versions and games that used the
STe's increased palette would potentially work too. Also, 16 shades of grey.

Of course, that's not 32k so yeah, software would have to be rewritten to support it.

Thanks.
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Darklord wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:46 am Wait, what? I don't understand? So any accelerated Atari fails with the HDMI mod?
So it's useless with anyone with an AdSpeed, Turboxx board, Pak 68/3, etc installed?
...sorry, my bad, Let me rephrase that: nobody's ever got the HDMI mod to work at double speed on a 16-MHz machine.

If the mod ran at double speed along with a double-speed MMU, then (along with the appropriate GEM parameter changes) then you could choose from the same doubled resolutions that you normally get on a doubled ST (640x200x16, 1280x200x4, 640x400x4, 1280x400x2) plus 320x200x256.

To run the mod at double speed would require an extension to the mod, you can't double the clock speed of it. So the idea is that you could add a jumper to make it internally double its own speed, which it's easily capable of doing.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Smonson wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:56 am
...sorry, my bad, Let me rephrase that: nobody's ever got the HDMI mod to work at double speed on a 16-MHz machine.

If the mod ran at double speed along with a double-speed MMU, then (along with the appropriate GEM parameter changes) then you could choose from the same doubled resolutions that you normally get on a doubled ST (640x200x16, 1280x200x4, 640x400x4, 1280x400x2) plus 320x200x256.

To run the mod at double speed would require an extension to the mod, you can't double the clock speed of it. So the idea is that you could add a jumper to make it internally double its own speed, which it's easily capable of doing.
Ah, my bad, I misunderstood. Almost had a panic attack - really looking forward (eventually) to a
color screen on my STacy.

Sorry for being obtuse... :)
derkom

Post by derkom »

Darklord wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:46 am I thought the STacy that was built with a TF board worked with this mod?
If you're talking about my Stacy, there's no Phoenix shifter in there (someday I hope!), just an OG shifter and a RGB2HDMI.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

derkom wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:00 pm If you're talking about my Stacy, there's no Phoenix shifter in there (someday I hope!), just an OG shifter and a RGB2HDMI.
Yeah, I actually remembered that after I got offline last night.

I'm following both projects, Icky's here and pixelk's over at Atari Forum:

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=250

Thanks.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Darklord wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:54 pm
derkom wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:00 pm If you're talking about my Stacy, there's no Phoenix shifter in there (someday I hope!), just an OG shifter and a RGB2HDMI.
Yeah, I actually remembered that after I got offline last night.

I'm following both projects, Icky's here and pixelk's over at Atari Forum:

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=250

Thanks.
Also to be clear the Phoenix Shifter does work with a TF536 :) - had it running on my H5.

For further clarification on @Smonson's comments the shifter is not tested on an ST bus running at 16MHz and not a booster running at xMHz that still uses the 8MHz underlying ST bus.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Icky wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:04 pm For further clarification on @Smonson's comments the shifter is not tested on an ST bus running at 16MHz and not a booster running at xMHz that still uses the 8MHz underlying ST bus.
Okay, so apologies if I'm being dense, but I read that as meaning that there's a possibility that it
will not work with an ST (or STacy) equipped with a Pak 68/3 board, for example? Thanks...
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Darklord wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:15 pm
Icky wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:04 pm For further clarification on @Smonson's comments the shifter is not tested on an ST bus running at 16MHz and not a booster running at xMHz that still uses the 8MHz underlying ST bus.
Okay, so apologies if I'm being dense, but I read that as meaning that there's a possibility that it
will not work with an ST (or STacy) equipped with a Pak 68/3 board, for example? Thanks...
No worries, a PAK 68/3 board is a booster and still uses the ST with its original 8HMz bus so it should work with the Phoenix Shifter of course it would have to be tested.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Okay, thanks! :)
UnderTheRain

Post by UnderTheRain »

Hi how are these board progressing I must confess I haven't read the last 6 pages of comments since I last checked in. If these become available I would very much like to buy one.

Happy Christmas

Brian

Return to “FPGA DEVELOPMENT”