Cooling TF cards in CD32

General hardware issues and troubleshooting etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

juz400

Re: Cooling TF cards in CD32

Post by juz400 »

I remember putting a new fan in my A590 back in the day, All the new fans I tried were even more noisey than the original! :lol:

Is there space for something like an Evercool 70 x 70 x 15mm Fan in the top of the case? EC7015L05
A blob of hot glue in each corner should be good to hold it in place, maybe an extension on the wires if need be.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evercool-70m ... Sw~gRV3FOW

Running any fan at 5v should help with noise, I thought laptop blower too but they blow the wrong way really....
sugar

Post by sugar »

Higgy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:20 am Is there an easy way to get pic on my mobile on here as an attachment? I keep having to turn on and use WinPC
I think you can just click on attachment and upload it on mobile but not sure.
Higgy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:20 am I used dental floss. Then IPA to clean off glue.
Cheers, worked like a charm.
Higgy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:20 am (Photo will help) i have rotated the RAM CPLD heatsink so that the air flow from my CPU fan blows through the heat sink fins (so it is mounted at 45 degs).
The CPU feels cool so its now the CPLDs that get hot for me an. My finger tip says the RAM one is the hotter one.

They are just mounted 'loose' at the moment with Artic Silver thermal compound. Just incase we come up with a better solution or if the Rev 2 needs a patch wire as 16mm high heat sinks restrict access. I think 20mm high hest sinks would fit but will be close to case.
I just realized my replacement heatsinks are 22mm wide so had to order new ones. I think 16mm high ones might be optimal for me so that some of the air will pass over.
Higgy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:20 am I am also toying with the idea of cutting a little slot in the front or underneath of my CD32 to allow access to the CF card. Underneather would be neater, then a strip of tape over the CF card to allow it to be pulled out (i use this technique on RPi3 where there is no microsd eject mechanism!).
I used to have an sd card extension cable for the TF-330 came out through the back before I got it to a stable set up.
My TF-360 seems to be a bit more touchy with it. I agree one could make a discreet hole in the lower front case for a CF card and perhaps have a support bracket inside the console.
juz400 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:59 am I remember putting a new fan in my A590 back in the day, All the new fans I tried were even more noisey than the original! :lol:

Is there space for something like an Evercool 70 x 70 x 15mm Fan in the top of the case? EC7015L05
A blob of hot glue in each corner should be good to hold it in place, maybe an extension on the wires if need be.
Not sure if 15mm high fits with the TF-360 but I think a 10mm high fan would do a job here especially with the CPLDs heating up but I'll see where I can get with the bigger heatsinks and fan in front approach. Too bad I failed printing the fan support today but next week new tries :-)
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Here we go via mobile
Heat sinks
Heat sinks
20200701_201722-1.jpg (332.6 KiB) Viewed 2739 times
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Higgy I'm sure you've heard it before but the left hand heat exchanger won't be as efficient due to the reduced surface area on the chip and you'd be better off with a narrow finned heat sink on the CPU and the fan blowing across that, again, more surface area, the better the cooling.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
32Bits

Post by 32Bits »

Here is my solution for cooling my TF360

For the CPU I used a Sunon super-thin CPU Cooler 054006BH01 - the 054006BH02 should also work.

For the CPLD's I used a LANDZO Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Dual Fan with Heat sink - cut in half

The thee fans run great off the 5V header on the card they are quiet and keep the components nice and cool at 75Mhz

TF360_cooling.jpg
TF360_cooling.jpg (270.99 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
C128/A3000/CD32/A1200 -https://www.youtube.com/c/32Bits

Return to “AMIGA HARDWARE HELP”