Pushing my 030 to its limits

General hardware issues and troubleshooting etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Laupert

Pushing my 030 to its limits

Post by Laupert »

I'm experimenting with running my 68EC030 @50Mhz. It seems stable for now, but I'm not really sure how hard I'm really pushing. It seems most demos are optimized for either running a stock A500 or a 060 running at highest possible speed.

Any suggestions for demos that can really stress my 030? Preferably demos that utilizes the FPU as well.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Pushing my 030 to its limits

Post by terriblefire »

Laupert wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:13 pm Any suggestions for demos that can really stress my 030? Preferably demos that utilizes the FPU as well.
I'm not aware of any demos (or games) that are 030 that use an FPU.

Doom is the standard 030 test.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Laupert

Post by Laupert »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:18 pm I'm not aware of any demos (or games) that are 030 that use an FPU.

Doom is the standard 030 test.
Thanks! I'm not a big Doom fan and never played Doom on the Amiga, but it was fun to try :) Weird thing is that if I could get Doom to run it seemed to be rock stable, but the Amiga will still frequently freeze in Workbench or simply crash during boot. I tried 10 different 030s and they all seem to have the same behaviour. Not really sure if it's the CPU that is holding me back and I'm considering throwing out the E-Matrix for good.

I know I had a demo that required FPU, but I deleted it before I got my FPU. FPU is not important however, it's rated at 50Mhz and seems to work fine.
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

8bit dreams on another forum mentioned a stress tester for 020, 030.060 CPUs, and there are tests for CPUs with or without FPU, this uses ray tracing and pushes the hardware to the limits and gives a result output at the end for your tests ...that's if your CPU is up for it lol

link below
https://mega.nz/file/M842nYbY#ooV6XuSAD ... qPyri22Bmk
Laupert

Post by Laupert »

supaduper wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:38 pm 8bit dreams on another forum mentioned a stress tester for 020, 030.060 CPUs, and there are tests for CPUs with or without FPU, this uses ray tracing and pushes the hardware to the limits and gives a result output at the end for your tests ...that's if your CPU is up for it lol

link below
https://mega.nz/file/M842nYbY#ooV6XuSAD ... qPyri22Bmk
Thanks, that looks interesting. I'm currently taking a break from my 1200, but I will check it out when we are friends again :D

Return to “AMIGA HARDWARE HELP”