Smoke from MegaSTe PSU (PSM-5341) !

Repairs & upgrades.
Pacman

Re: Smoke from MegaSTe PSU (PSM-5341) !

Post by Pacman »

I definitely want good advice, and I appreciate your input :thumbup:
I just want to get a full understanding of it.
Was it the "ultra low noise cable" you used (147 Ohms/6.1V/1600 RPM) when it blew?

Too bad there aren't better spec'd/cooler running compatible MOSFETs I can replace the original ones with.
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESSC | RSVE | Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive/AJAX controller | Exxos HD floppy module | Battery-backed Ricoh realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
Steve

Post by Steve »

There aren't different replacements really as they just naturally run hot and have heatsinks attached to them, so the fan sucks the air past the heatsinks cooling them down. Yeah it was the ultra low speed one... so like I say I think you should be safe with the normal one, just steer clear of the ultra silent mode...
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Gotcha! :dualthumbup:
Frying the MSTE motherboard isn't tempting at all.

Frank.Lukas: if you're reading, how long have you been using your MSTE with the fan running at the lowered (9V) fan speed?
Have you had any issues, and did it make any difference if you've been using the internal SCSI hard drive with the lowered fan speed?
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESSC | RSVE | Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive/AJAX controller | Exxos HD floppy module | Battery-backed Ricoh realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

Return to “PSU (power supplies)”