Other boosters or variants.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF536 on the ST

Post by terriblefire »

its the same ata.v as he has.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:10 pm its the same ata.v as he has.
Ok, so I dont mind trying to piece together data if it helps to get to the bottom of this. Is there anything specifically you tbink I should be looking at?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Umberto1st

Post by Umberto1st »

EzdineG wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:03 pm
Umberto1st wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:00 pm I have tried with Kaos TOS which works with the 030, but no auto boot in that either
Can you see the drive from floppy boot with KAOS?

Did you try a twisted cable? I haven't had any success either, but I haven't made a twisted cable yet.
It will boot from floppy, and yes I'm using a twisted cable
3)1040 stf/m, 2)Mega 4 ST, 1)STE, 1)Mega STE, 1)STacy, 2)Falcon 030
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The difference with the later firmwares is that interrupt emulation. Maybe there is another code path that needs the patch cable and a real interrupt to be generated.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
Umberto1st

Post by Umberto1st »

MagiC does not work, It completely replaces Emutos and has the same problem that TOS 2.06 has. It can't find the IDE. The activity light comes on and stays on frozen.
Umberto1st

Post by Umberto1st »

I truly love the idea of plug-n-play. I know that it is partially working since Emutos auto boots with the emulated INT.But Emutos has it own built in HDD driver and it is the exception in term of OS's. On the lightning ST IDE with a standard 68000, emutos requires INT tethered to boot. All other OS's that I have tried such as TOS 2.06 and koasTOS refuse to auto boot. Any OS that I launch from Emutos such as MINT, MagiC or Agranlund's TTRAMROS refuse to boot the IDE, since they completely replace GEM, AES and VDI, wiping out the HDD driver that Emutos provides. The Only OS that I have successfully tested is Geneva and it provides a snappy multitasking experience with the TF536. All my tests have included all released firmware versions for the TF536, Tethered and untethered (INT) and Byte swapped and non-byte swapped IDE cables. The only solution on the software side is to modify the aforementioned OS's to have a built in HHD driver similar to Emutos, but this will probably never happen. The other option would be on the hardware(firmware side). Getting the emulated INT to function properly or produce a firmware the requires a physical INT wire connected. This would be entirely up to Terriblefire. I personally would not mind a tethered INT line. I believe the the emulated INT is messing with the HDINT of the DMA, causing the DMA ASCI port to malfunction. I hope these issues are resolved because the TF536 is a snappy little booster. So no plug-n-play would not be a deal breaker to me.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Guys... lest i repeat again...

1. I have not had time to look at this.
2. I have no byte swap cable to test even if i did have time.

When conditions/limiting factors 1 and 2 are no longer blocking me i will investigate and fix this issue. Until then please stop telling me what I already know. I know IDE interface is not working on TOS 2.06 for you guys. There are 3-4 pages of the same information here now.
———
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

tf536r2_2020_08_06_alpha.zip
(14.56 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
terriblefire wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:35 am
PhilC wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:35 am @terriblefire i think that's probably for the best as making a twisted ide cable is simple enough, so that should get Tos2.06 working and as you know, EmuTOS Don't care either way.

Can you please post which firmware you consider to be optimal at the mo :D
Try this for now.

EDIT: where can i get a crossover ide cable?
@agranlund try this firmware, I think it had the buss error, mouse fix and boots to EmuTOS with or without twisted cable.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

PhilC wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:00 pm tf536r2_2020_08_06_alpha.zip
terriblefire wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:35 am

Try this for now.

EDIT: where can i get a crossover ide cable?
@agranlund try this firmware, I think it had the buss error, mouse fix and boots to EmuTOS with or without twisted cable.
Thanks @PhilC !
I'll give that one a whirl and see if I can remove my EmuTOS hacks then (and the similar one I added to maprom.prg for when it installs tt-ram to Atari TOS)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Be good to see how you get on @agranlund but I also need to build your blitter adaptor now youve shared it :lol:

Return to “EVERYTHING ELSE”