Unable to get IDE to work on Atari

Other boosters or variants.
PhilC

Unable to get IDE to work on Atari

Post by PhilC »

so ive tried now with 1 TF534 and 3 TF536 and no luck in getting the IDE to work at all.

I've tried Tos2.06 and emutos but without much luck.

Any ideas guys?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Unable to get IDE to work on Atari

Post by terriblefire »

PhilC wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:29 pm so ive tried now with 1 TF534 and 3 TF536 and no luck in getting the IDE to work at all.

I've tried Tos2.06 and emutos but without much luck.

Any ideas guys?
Got the flylead out to the ACSI port?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

No I haven't, where do you connect that on the TF536?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

PhilC wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:55 pm No I haven't, where do you connect that on the TF536?
would be best soldering it to the IRQ pin on the ide header i think.

I wanna try getting this going without the flylead at some point but its known not wokring right now.

EDIT: EmuTOS will work with IDE though
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I'm going to go over my soldering again, I can only think I've missed something
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:13 pm would be best soldering it to the IRQ pin on the ide header i think.
I believe you may need to invert it in that case
http://piters.tripod.com/atari/aidesch.htm

I'm rubbish with Atari IDE so my only tip would be testing with twisted cable since that did the trick for me.
The Atari standard IDE interface is byte-swapped compared to TF, Amiga & PC, but EmuTOS should probably deal with it anyway?
HDDriver & P.Putniks drivers should also work with non-twisted cables as long as the drive was partitioned for that.. I think.... :lol:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Just a quick update.

Thanks for your help @agranlund and @terriblefire , two of the 4 boards so far are working great on the ST with EmuTOS and a 4GB CF card.

I'll post another update once I've tried connecting the IRQ line up to the ACSI port and then try it with TOS2.06.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Aquire update, I've tried linking pin 31 the IDE IRQ pin to the Atari ACSI port but the IDE device isn't detected correctly, having garbage in the ID field and device can't be read by HD HDDriver but the same CF card works fine under EmuTOS without the extra wire.

I've also noticed that some of the "cheap" CF cards when connected to the TF536 will stop the Atari from booting at all. I remember that the exxos IDE had to have an extra pull up resistor fitted to work properly. It might be something similar I guess.

Which devices have you guys had the best luck using with the TF536?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

PhilC wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:05 pm Aquire update, I've tried linking pin 31 the IDE IRQ pin to the Atari ACSI port but the IDE device isn't detected correctly, having garbage in the ID field and device can't be read by HD HDDriver but the same CF card works fine under EmuTOS without the extra wire.

I've also noticed that some of the "cheap" CF cards when connected to the TF536 will stop the Atari from booting at all. I remember that the exxos IDE had to have an extra pull up resistor fitted to work properly. It might be something similar I guess.

Which devices have you guys had the best luck using with the TF536?
I'd be interested to know what pull-up is needed too as I have one of the converter cards from the Exxos store. I'd also like to know which end of the connector is pin 1!

I can't get mine to work at all, in EmuTOS even. I've put a TOS partition table on there and a FAT12 partiton and nothing. This is using an ancient 128MB CF card. If I try to use the Hitachi Microdrive the adapter just gets really hot! I don't think it likes the power draw required to spin the disk up.

Anyone know where I might get a twisted cable?
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@stephen_usher its a case of making your own im afraid.

Return to “EVERYTHING ELSE”