Great work =D
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
agranlund

Re: TF536 - Atari

Post by agranlund »

Latest Atari firmware:
tf536_2020_10_03_ATARI_alpha.zip
(29.17 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

* It can now boot TOS2.06 without having to solder wires to ACSI pin 10.
You still need a "twisted cable" or adapter and the drive needs to be TOS partitioned for TOS 2.06 to be able to boot from it though.
(MagiC needs that interrupt wire still but TOS2.06, FreeMint & EmuTOS works without it)

* IDE interface no longer produce dummy "ghost interfaces". It's configured to identify as interface 0.
EzdineG

Post by EzdineG »

@agranlund
Any chance you can backport this magic to TF534? I'm not sure what to do with more than 4MB TT RAM on my ST just yet :)
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Sorry for the spam..

* MagiC can now also be booted without help of additional wires.
tf536_2020_10_04_ATARI_alpha.zip
(29.47 KiB) Downloaded 200 times

Any chance you can backport this magic to TF534? I'm not sure what to do with more than 4MB TT RAM on my ST just yet :)
I've also kept my TF534 around :)
I thought it would maybe be fun to experiment with those SPI ports at some point but I can't really make any promises about doing any of this stuff with the TF534 firmware at this point.

It's a lot easier to hook up the interrupt wire on the TF534 compared to the TF536 though, it just needs a wire from the INT2 header on the TF534 to ACSI pin10 with no additional logic needed in between.
ctirad

Post by ctirad »

Just a question. Is HDDriver able to see, partition and use IDE device without a twisted cable?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

ctirad wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:35 pm Just a question. Is HDDriver able to see, partition and use IDE device without a twisted cable?
I had a prototype that worked for me ... it was a dirty hack that make a bus cycle. Held the result and swapped the data bus before presenting the data to the CPU. But it was a dirty ass hack and it only worked for me. So you need the IDE swap cable on the TF536
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:06 pm
ctirad wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:35 pm Just a question. Is HDDriver able to see, partition and use IDE device without a twisted cable?
I had a prototype that worked for me ... it was a dirty hack that make a bus cycle. Held the result and swapped the data bus before presenting the data to the CPU. But it was a dirty ass hack and it only worked for me. So you need the IDE swap cable on the TF536
Yeah, probably easiest to just put a twisted cable on there to make it into an Atari style interface if you want to use Atari TOS (or MagiC).

Saying that.. P.Putnik should have some drivers for "twisted cable" setups (as in, twisted compared to Atari interface = PC interface = TF536 interface)
But you would also need his custom patched TOS ROMs if you want to boot from it though.. Standard Atari TOS can only understand Atari IDE interfaces and wont be able to load that driver off the bootsector from a device on a PC interface.
ctirad

Post by ctirad »

OK. Twisted cable did the trick.
Unfortuantely, there are still random freezes, especially when using the fastram. Any ideas, how to stabilise? Machine is 520ST (with external floppy and PSU).
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@ctirad what were you doing when experiencing the random crashes?

I've had a couple of TF536s running for 2 or 3 days solid and no crashes.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I would suggest soldering a quality Panasonic 4,700uF cap as close to the 68K socket as you can. The ST's power supply sux.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “EVERYTHING ELSE”