TF536 + EmuTOS 192k boot ROMs etc.

Other boosters or variants.
JezC

TF536 + EmuTOS 192k boot ROMs etc.

Post by JezC »

As discussed on various other topics spread across the whole of the known universe (well, OK, this forum then...but that sounds soooo boring in comparison :lol:), below are some zips of files kindly supplied by @agranlund that allow people with only the standard 192k ROM decode to boot up with a TF536 & load EmuTOS into RAM!
:thumbup:

Original files which I used to boot EmuTOS v0.91 from Floppy (Gotek) with a TF536 fitted into an H4.
tf534_emutos.zip
EmuTOS v0.91 + 192k Boot ROM image
(357.19 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Updated version for EmuTOS v1.0 (note that I have kept using the boot ROM image in the above zip file because I'm lazy!) - I think this is the version I'm still using :shrug:
EmuTOS_TF53x.zip
EmuTOS v1.0
(225.98 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
A later version was submitted which booted up OK (from Floppy/Gotek)...but for me it stopped the Floppy/Gotek drive from working once it was running from RAM...which didn't help as that is the only file system available to me on my H4 + TF536 system at the moment :(

So, I've not included that version in this post but will add another post containing that version for other users with a working IDE configuration.
JezC

Re: TF536 + EmuTOS 192k boot ROMs etc.

Post by JezC »

Ok, as mentioned above, the file below contains a later version of the EmuTOS prg which is supposed to run much faster on the TF536...but it stopped my Gotek from working after this EmuTOS was loaded into RAM, so I had no way to load any programs to verify this speed increase!
TF53x_EmuTOS.zip
Later/faster EmuTOS prg
(751.87 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Those of you with working IDE setups might not mind this, so please try it if you want to & let us know the results!
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

JezC wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:55 pm As discussed on various other topics spread across the whole of the known universe (well, OK, this forum then...but that sounds soooo boring in comparison :lol:), below are some zips of files kindly supplied by @agranlund that allow people with only the standard 192k ROM decode to boot up with a TF536 & load EmuTOS into RAM!
:thumbup:

Original files which I used to boot EmuTOS v0.91 from Floppy (Gotek) with a TF536 fitted into an H4.
tf534_emutos.zip

Updated version for EmuTOS v1.0 (note that I have kept using the boot ROM image in the above zip file because I'm lazy!) - I think this is the version I'm still using :shrug:
EmuTOS_TF53x.zip

A later version was submitted which booted up OK (from Floppy/Gotek)...but for me it stopped the Floppy/Gotek drive from working once it was running from RAM...which didn't help as that is the only file system available to me on my H4 + TF536 system at the moment :(

So, I've not included that version in this post but will add another post containing that version for other users with a working IDE configuration.
I should mention that you can download official EmuTOS versions as .PRG files from their website: https://emutos.sourceforge.io/
They have 192k & 256k versions in both ROM and PRG format so you could burn the official 192k to your roms and put the official 256k PRG in the auto folder.

The 192k one I built doesn't have the bootup screen which is quite nice. You'll get it when that 256k version runs from the auto folder anyway so this avoid getting the bootup screen twice :)

I would recommend using the 192k ROM from one of these zips but use an official 256k PRG version in the auto folder.
Some of these 256k PRG's in these zip here may or may not have all kinds of dodgy experiments going on... :lol:
Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing »

I want double check something. Working on the TF536 on a STacy. Everything works somewhat minus IDE or autoboot in CosmosEx ACSI. Trying different combos of operating systems. I have a MonSTer that I've tried as well but the IDE doesn't work with TF536. I know I need to tweak the IDE on the TF but I'd settle for autobooting ACSI for the time being.

Questions:
  1. The 192K EmuTOS boot rom is supposed to work with 030? Because I get white screen and floppy loads but does not do anything. It works in 68K mode.
  2. I also have KAOS in roms and it works in both modes sans the HD issues. Is loading the 256K EmuTOS from KAOS any different from loading from 192K EmuTOS? Because after I load it, my floppies disappear and warm reset brings them back but not functioning. Normal EmuTOS in MonSTer works fine.
My TF is from @PhilC from around July so that should be an indication of the firmware version.

Tagging @agranlund & @derkom as well.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Atarian Computing you'll need to update the firmware to the latest version that Agranlund has done to get it booting fine from IDE and also to detect fast ram properly.

You'll need a byte swapped cable to be able to boot from tos2.06 at the mo.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Atarian Computing

PhilC wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:02 pm @Atarian Computing you'll need to update the firmware to the latest version that Agranlund has done to get it booting fine from IDE and also to detect fast ram properly.

You'll need a byte swapped cable to be able to boot from tos2.06 at the mo.
Actually, I got it to work in EmuTOS but only when:
  1. I twisted the IDE cable
  2. I used the INT wire (had a 74LS04 that works fine it seems)
ACSI won't work at all now.
TOS 2.06 refuses to boot now. It's freezing on accessing the drive.

But EmuTOS is working super great with the given 192K boot roms and 256K in the Auto folder. Damn, it's fast. Actually, not counting the Milan 060 I used to have, this is the fastest Atari I've used. I ran Kronos and Gembench. Very stable and no issues. Super happy. This will keep me busy for a while but I would like to have CosmosEx working.

@PhilC it detects 64MB just fine in EmuTOS. Does that mean it's fine? is it easy to update the firmware with a Raspberry Pi?
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Atarian Computing ok cool, id flash it anyway but thats my OCD and it sounds like you've got one of the later usable ones.
Atarian Computing

PhilC wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:47 pm @Atarian Computing ok cool, id flash it anyway but thats my OCD and it sounds like you've got one of the later usable ones.
I might do that later. For now it is rock solid. I've done extensive benches burn-ins, fastram tests, and it has not had a single glitch. USB works through Netusbee. I'll try EasyMiNT at some point. If that works, I really don't have a reason to upgrade, as all I need is EmuTOS/Geneva and MiNT for this use case.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Atarian Computing Makes sense to me, if it aint broken, then don't fix it :)
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Atarian Computing wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:08 pm Actually, I got it to work in EmuTOS but only when:
  1. I twisted the IDE cable
  2. I used the INT wire (had a 74LS04 that works fine it seems)
Needing this for EmuTOS sounds super odd to me, but hey, if it works then why mess with it :)
Because I'm curious, do you remember with what software and how your drive was partitioned?

That setup should make TOS206 able to boot from it, provided the drive was partitioned as a TOS-only drive with max 512MB(?) partitions or whatever the maximum size is for Atari TOS to be ok with it (HDDriver tells you in the partitioning program)
In fact, that INT wire shouldn't be required for Atari TOS if you're on the latest firmware, and not at all for EmuTOS as far as I'm aware, but it doesn't hurt either.

Return to “EVERYTHING ELSE”