TF536 on the STacy

Other boosters or variants.
stephen_usher

Re: TF536 on the STacy

Post by stephen_usher »

Bash version > 1.x is a bloated mess.

They've added two modes of operation which aren't command compatible, so things which are syntactically correct in interactive mode generate errors (or worse just silently operate differently) in a script and vice-versa. They've recently spun out the builtins into a library of script functions, taking CPU power and memory to set up.

Oh, and then there are the "extensions" to the POSIX/Bourne Shell specification which, of course, the current crop of Linux hackers liberally use and flame anyone who points out the problem with this. Gah! People! :-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Steve

Post by Steve »

mikro wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:50 am
Steve wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:35 pm Hey Mikro are you aware of any lighter weight bash alternatives compiled for mint? I find bash to be very sluggish on my 030's. Of course I have tried mksh from the sparemint repo but it doesn't support bash alias commands. It's kind of funny that Linux distros are not using bash any more because they say it's bloated lol, I think they mainly use 'dash' now. But yeah if you get a spare moment I'd appreciate it if you looked in to it. Thank you
IIRC, ST MiNT (https://subsole.org/st_mint) also uses mksh, maybe its newer version supports aliases?

Yeah, dash is an option but it's not 100% bash compatible. But it's a good idea, maybe we should really consider a more lightweight shell.
Hey Mikro,

I tried mksh from that distro, it's seems good! I have a slight issue in mint you might be able to advise:
If I double click mksh and then type 'login' then root, everything works properly
But if I edit my 'passwd' file for bin/mksh instead of bin/bash, upon starting the shell normally though tos2win or taskbar, mksh loads with this error:
'/etc/profile.d/which-2.sh[5]: export: -f: unknown option'

The contents of which-2.sh is:

Code: Select all

# Initialization script for bash and sh
which() {
(alias && declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-dot --show-tilde $@
}
export -f which
Here is the output from some of these expressions after entering into mksh shell with login root:
PXL_20201128_173322520.jpg
PXL_20201128_173322520.jpg (339.27 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Any suggestions? Thank you
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The -f option is not in the POSIX/Bourne Shell standard.

mksh is probably following the Bash extension and allowing the -f option in an interactive session but not in a script.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Steve

Post by Steve »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:05 pm The -f option is not in the POSIX/Bourne Shell standard.

mksh is probably following the Bash extension and allowing the -f option in an interactive session but not in a script.
Are you aware of any way I can modify the script to make it POSIX/Bourne complaint? Thanks
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Steve wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:23 pm
stephen_usher wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:05 pm The -f option is not in the POSIX/Bourne Shell standard.

Are you aware of any way I can modify the script to make it POSIX/Bourne complaint? Thanks
The '-f' extension is for exporting functions, which is a bash-only extension. There is no equivalent.

You'd have to define the functions you want to use in a file and source it at the top of your script using '.', e.g.

#!/bin/sh
. myshlib
echo "rest of the script here"
Steve

Post by Steve »

@stephen_usher

I'm trying my best but this is stretching my skills already. I don't quite know what information it is pulling in order to do this, but I do appreciate your script explanation.
Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing »

Ok, so I flashed the TF to the latest firmware from @agranlund. Thanks to @stephen_usher for the tip for the USB cable.

MagiC works great! HDDriver 11.00 gives almost 10MBps! And look at Gembench! Why is it not finding Alt Ram though?

SNAP_12.png
SNAP_12.png (15.11 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
SNAP_13.png
SNAP_13.png (15.29 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
SNAP_14.png
SNAP_14.png (18.11 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
SNAP_15.png
SNAP_15.png (13.66 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Yeah, Gembench does the same for me under MagiC.

Kronos and sysinfo gets it correct so I always just assumed MagiC is not in agreement with whatever way Gembench is checking for alt-ram? (It also gets the ST-RAM test wrong under MagiC, from the number it looks like it's measuring fastram speed there)

MagiC is definitely using fastram and runs programs from it though :)
Atarian Computing

agranlund wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:13 pm Yeah, Gembench does the same for me under MagiC.

Kronos and sysinfo gets it correct so I always just assumed MagiC is not in agreement with whatever way Gembench is checking for alt-ram? (It also gets the ST-RAM test wrong under MagiC, from the number it looks like it's measuring fastram speed there)

MagiC is definitely using fastram and runs programs from it though :)
Ah, cool. Yes, the regular RAM speed is clearly Alt RAM speed.
Atarian Computing

With the latest firmware, everything works except for CosmosEx. CosmosEx ACSI SD works so the ACSI part seems fine. However, loading the CosmosEx driver results in the actual CosmosEx not being found. @derkom Did you encounter issues like this with your setup?

Return to “EVERYTHING ELSE”