Latest firmware stops PAK/30 from booting.

Other boosters or variants.
stephen_usher

Re: Latest firmware stops PAK/30 from booting.

Post by stephen_usher »

frank.lukas wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:25 pm You mean with PAK/3 or PAK/030 the TOS 3.06 patched for a ST with 020 or 030 CPU, right?

With what OS you boot the TF536 and how boot the patched TOS 3.06?
It's the patched 3.06 TOS (US version), which announces itself as PAK/3 in the logo, booted directly from the 512K ROM image.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, this is very curious.

For the last few hours I've been reeding and writing to the floppy fine, with 2.2K ohm pull-ups on the 1772 data lines under the patched TOS 3.06.

I swapped back to EmuTOS 1.0.x (a snapshot from a few days after release, after the patch for ignoring non-TOS partitions was added) and I can't read floppies at all, though I was able to with the 10K ohm pull-ups, unless I unplug the UltraSATAN, or turn the CPU cache off (it worked with the cache previously).

That's nuts!
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Didn't someone (maybe @JezC ?) mention something about the floppy breaking since EMUTOS 1.0 releases ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

exxos wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:38 pm Didn't someone (maybe @JezC ?) mention something about the floppy breaking since EMUTOS 1.0 releases ?
Yes, but until tonight I've not had any issues with it.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@exxos Yes, that would be me...I've not had the EmuTOS v1.0 or later build work on my H4 with the TF536 fitted...but I have had the v0.91 working fine with the very same h/w (so literally just a change in the program version of EmuTOS I was loading from the auto folder).

I've not tried any of the more recent versions of EmuTOS since then, nor have I yet put it back to a stock 68k & tried the s/w in that configuration...

I will try EmuTOS prg on a vanilla ST & check if that works or not as I don't think the EmuTOS developers have a TF536 to try it with. At least on some of those systems, I can use the hard drive as well as the floppy...

It might be the weekend before I get time to plug things together...but will report back as soon as I have tried it.

I'll lodge a report on the EmuTOS mailing list when I know the outcome...they seem to be very quick to respond, so fingers crossed we can get to the root of the problem quite quickly.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, one thing to come out of these tests is that it's completely fixed the floppy corruption issues I was having when running the 68030 and reading from the GOEX drive with the UltraSATAN installed. The 2.2K pull-ups have brought the levels up to acceptable TTL values.

I've noticed that with the pull-ups the UntraSATAN can't pull the bus down to 0V, it's reaching 680mV, which is still within the spec for TTL '0'.

The best test for floppy data corruption is PP's hard disk port of "Carrier Command", which still looks at the floppy for the music, and then either the original Carrier Command floppy or an image on a GOTEK/GOEX. When streaming the music from the drive directly you can hear the music crackle and pop if there's bad data.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Right! I've tied the non-booting to HDDriver 10.

If I install AHDI on an SD card then the machine boots fine. So whatever changed in the firmware broke HDDriver with the PAK/3(US) ROM.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

The Patched TOS 3.06 for the PAK works fine with a PAK68/3-030 and Fastram. There are no issue with Floppy or HDDriver. EmuTOS 1.01 works fine too. I have two machines with PAK68/3 Speeder. So I think it is all a issue with the TF536 and theirs Firmware ...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

frank.lukas wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:13 am The Patched TOS 3.06 for the PAK works fine with a PAK68/3-030 and Fastram. There are no issue with Floppy or HDDriver. EmuTOS 1.01 works fine too. I have two machines with PAK68/3 Speeder. So I think it is all a issue with the TF536 and theirs Firmware ...
Indeed. It was the last update, which changed something for the the IDE interface which broke it I think.

By the way, do you know if there was ever a UK version of the ROM image? All I can find is the German and US varients.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:41 pm
exxos wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:38 pm Didn't someone (maybe @JezC ?) mention something about the floppy breaking since EMUTOS 1.0 releases ?
Yes, but until tonight I've not had any issues with it.
I discovered that it's an interaction with MAPROM 1.8.

Without MAPROM installed then the floppy works, if it is then it doesn't. I'm still puzzled as it did work previously with MAPROM.

Return to “EVERYTHING ELSE”