Steve's H5 A3.14 Build (Chicken Pie edition)

Share your building progress here!
PhilC

Re: Steve's H5 A3.14 Build (Chicken Pie edition)

Post by PhilC »

@Steve does it work ok without the gal in?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Steve

Post by Steve »

PhilC wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:25 am @Steve does it work ok without the gal in?
Just tested: same result... dbl clicking A: drive access light happens, but nothing appears and no error msg at all. I put the jumper next to the GAL in WD mode.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Steve sounds like bad connection or something similar. I'd have a go at diagnosing it with the 68000 in and just an normal floppy.

Bothy H5s work fine as is, so gotta be something daft. You did cut the tracks near the ACSI socket didn't you?
Steve

Post by Steve »

@PhilC I've done all the mods/fixes I know about but I haven't got any cut traces near the ACSI. Perhaps you're thinking of a fix that came after my A3 version? I don't know
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Steve wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:51 am @PhilC I've done all the mods/fixes I know about but I haven't got any cut traces near the ACSI. Perhaps you're thinking of a fix that came after my A3 version? I don't know
Just check this one Steve, the floppy fix

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 9&start=20
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yeah Phil I did that, it's on page 1 of this thread
Steve

Post by Steve »

Do I dare invoke @exxos for advice on the floppy? :shock:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Steve wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:39 pm Do I dare invoke @exxos for advice on the floppy? :shock:
I have not had much time to follow this thread, but as @PhilC Mentions, I would revisit that fix to make sure you have not got cut any of the other tracks near it or still have the original shorted to ground.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ok will do!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi guys,

Just looking for some help on getting the floppy working, I really appreciate pointers on what to check.

What happens:
If I boot in 1.44mb GAL mode (JP22 on 1+2, JP18&19 open) Drive A is detected, the drive seeks on boot, drive is visable on desktop. On double clicking A the drive lights up, it makes a slight movement sound but then TOS says 'drive not responding or is damaged'.
If I boot in 720k mode (JP22 on 2+3, JP18&19 closed) Drive A is detected, the drive seeks on boot, drive is visable on desktop. On double clicking A the drive lights up, it makes a slight movement sound but then nothing happens, no message or anything.

Have tried different floppy controller chips. Have tried swapping the yamaha chip too.

Advice appreciated. I went over all the 'fixes' and they're all implemented. Perhaps @exxos may have some ideas on some continuety checks I could do? All appreciated thanks.

Return to “H5 A3 USER BUILDS”