OJ's H5 A3 Troubleshooting

Share your building progress here!
olivier.jan

OJ's H5 A3 Troubleshooting

Post by olivier.jan »

Hi everyone,
As I wanted to get my A3 running before the B1 starts popping-up, I rushed the build this week and ended with a beautiful...black screen.
After checking a bit, I realised that IC6 was not properly re-soldered which I fixed and got a beautiful.. white screen.
Some more checks later, I got proof that beer and soldering together are not a good idea cause you end up with a CPU socket at 90º :oops:
Once the socket was re-soldered in the right position I finally got a ... white screen :(
Strangely, while display the white screen, my monitor tells me it's NTSC, not the usual PAL I get with my STF or STE...

I tested voltage everywhere and for shorts on all extensions slots pins, clock frequencies on all the ICs, and everything looks OK so far.
Latest troubleshooting today shows there's activity but it execute a few instruction, reset, execute instructions, reset, etc...

I've tested CPU, MMU and GLUE in another machine and all are good, so maybe the ROM as I have no way to test it (AT27C4096-55, with 1.04 and EMUTOS, both gives me a blank screen).

I ordered a new ROM and drag cart from Exxos today in order to do more troubleshooting (hopefully) next week. :)
In the meantime, if anyone has an idea for further troubleshooting, here are a picture of the board and 2 dumps of the first cycles after reset...
IMG_5781.jpg
IMG_5781.jpg (572.34 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
Capture d’écran 2020-11-21 à 16.17.33.png
Capture d’écran 2020-11-21 à 16.17.33.png (136.58 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
Capture d’écran 2020-11-21 à 16.23.05.png
Capture d’écran 2020-11-21 à 16.23.05.png (111.3 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
Retro stuff
520 STF/ 1040 STE / Mega ST / 2 Mega STE / 2 H5
2 x 600XL with U1MB /SOFIA 2/ AVG CART / and a few 1050
Apple //c, Commodore 128, Mac Classic, SE/30, LC, IIvi and PB G3 (Clamshell)
Amiga 600 and a few 486 and 386.
Many Nintendo G&W and other electronic games from the late 70s/early 80s.
stephen_usher

Re: OJ's H5 A3 Troubleshooting

Post by stephen_usher »

It's unlikely to be the ROM. Hopefully the Diag cart will help, especially with a terminal on the serial port.

The display will be "NTSC" until the ROM has managed to change the setting during the initialisation process.

It looks like it's reading the first few bytes of the ROM and then crashing. This could be not reading the ROM properly or not accessing RAM. Seeing as you aren't seeing what's on the other 8 data lines it's hard to see if any of those aren't working.

I've not verified the contents of those first few bytes of ROM, which should include the address of the base of the ROM.

You'd better check that all the address lines are busy.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Are you saying that the H5 is resetting itself or are you resetting it? Recoding /halt is a better guide than /reset by the way.

One thing to check is to remove the CPU and check that the address and data lines are pulled up to 5v, same for R/W, BGACK, BERR etc. Its also worth checking this on the DMA and other chips to eliminate bad soldered joints.

Good luck.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

@olivier.jan - Looking at your board JP13 is missing. You need to make sure that one is closed. This is the ROM_CE line so would explain why its not seeing the ROM
olivier.jan

Post by olivier.jan »

Thanks for your replies.

Concerning JP13, it was actually plugged during my tests and got off when I removed the analyzer cables to take the picture.
I also checked all address pins and all data pins to try to spot the issue, but they’re all connected and have activity.
Tomorrow I will run some more tests, checking all the pull-ups as advised and again the data pins bit with UDS and LDS and a few other signals too.
I was reviewing the bytes captured and the sequence match the first few bytes of the rom, whic is strange as it should match only one out of two as I m only recording d0-d8...

I will also solder the cart port and serial, it will make using the diag cart a bit easier.
Retro stuff
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
olivier.jan

Post by olivier.jan »

Some progress, but not working yet.
After analyzing the bus traffic and comparing it to a proper ROM image, I confirmed the ROM was bad with two main issues.
This ROM add a TOS 1.4 FR and EmuTOS 1 (192k) on it but...both image were byte swapped. I also discovered that the TOS 1.4 FR image was corrupted while trying to burn it for an original STF.

After receiving some parts from Exxos today, I plugged a new ROM and now got garbage on the screen, which was actually better than the white screen. Newly received Diag Cart was also producing garbage, just a different kind.

I then realised that for fixe #1, after fighting with IC6 and cutting the trace underneath, I had simply forgotten to cut the bottom layer trace.
Now the diag cart starts...and stop with a very nice 'T0 MFP timer' error. So going to troubleshoot around the MFP but at least video is working.
IMG_5792.jpeg
IMG_5792.jpeg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
Retro stuff
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@olivier.jan check the soldering on your MFP and its oscillator, hopefully that will let it boot further :D
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
olivier.jan

Post by olivier.jan »

So, some progress here.
After checking the MFP, MFPINT line was not soldered properly, so I un soldered the whole MFP (very stupid decision) and resolder everything manually.
3 attempts later, I was still full of shorts and after removing it again, I decided to stop before damaging the motherboard and ordered a proper socket.
Socket arrived this week, soldered it and it booted perfectly with a new MFP.
Tried the old MFP (not in good shape after so much solder/unsolder) and it works.
10 minutes later after a reboot, white screen, diag cart not working,etc... :( :( :(

This morning, I took the logic analyzer and discovered A2 was stuck high, checked everything and there seems to be a problem with the cpu socket this time. The bin n the bottom of the MB is properl connected, but on the socket itself I have a very strange behavior where it comes and goes all the time.
Anyway, for the time being I ended up using the DIP 68000 I salvaged from the donor machine and it boots properly again.
Tests are fine, boot to the desktop too.

Now, a few more sues to tackle, floppy seems to have issues with Double sided disks, and DMA is not working properly but I’ll check both.

Still, even if there is more work to be done, I was very happy to see Bubble Bobble booting from a single sided floppy.
Thanks for all the help and advices !
Retro stuff
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Floppy issues , I assume by what you say you not done the fixes for it ?

Also , I don't know what sockets you used, but I only recommend 3M sockets because of all sorts of screwy socket issues cheaper sockets..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “H5 A3 USER BUILDS”