Terriblefire Accelerators

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

PhilC

Re: Terriblefire Accelerators

Post by PhilC »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:47 pm I’ve said this before but the first time you use the cheap programmers use it with ISE 10.. that reflashes the cpld on the programmer. Later ISE versions detect the clones.
Thanks TF.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Some persons asking me why 4-layer boards are needed if there is enough space to route PCB on 2-layer...
Well... Here is the answer:
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 pm Some persons asking me why 4-layer boards are needed if there is enough space to route PCB on 2-layer...
Well... Here is the answer:
I saw that video as well, very interesting. But that is more from a EMI point of view, but does indeed hold a lot of good information about board layouts. I'm sure Dave did a video why ground planes are needed in separate video at some point..

But anyone who thinks snaking power rails all the way around the board is a acceptable practice needs permanently banning from ever touching a PCB program :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

exxos wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:02 pm But anyone who thinks snaking power rails all the way around the board is a acceptable practice needs permanently banning from ever touching a PCB program :)
I tried it until it didnt work. Then i switched to 4 layer. Then I jumper up to over 100Mhz on my boards and I decided not to even try 2 layer anymore.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

General Status Update...

TF534 ... Virtually done. 50 boards on order.
TF330 ... The rev2 batch of 50 has been scrapped. I will need to wait until payday to order another batch. I managed to avoid customs.
TFBoard64... the drill holes were too narrow and the pinstrip wont countersink as planned. If someone knows of long pin strips i'll maybe try solder one up.
CDTV: Booting Diagrom again but no picture.. i noticed that the CDTV button doesnt toggle the light like it used to .

Edu Arana has started on the TF/EDU A1230 board

TODO:

Disable feature for the TF330 and burst mode.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
kludge

Post by kludge »

You might be able to recoup some of the money lost on the TF330 PCBs on the TF534 boards, no? I know they are smaller and cheaper, but still.

I’d certainly be interrested in 1, 2 or 3 TF534 PCBs when you’re ready.

Edit: Of course the money from the 534 PCBs could go towards payment for all the 534 prototypes you’ve made. I’m too tired to think right now 😄
A kludge is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

My lack of focus:
[ 4 * Amiga 500 ][ Amiga 500+ ][ 2 * Amiga 600 ][ A1200 ][ Amiga 2000 w/ A2386 ][ Amiga 4000/030 w/ CyberVision 64 3D, FastLane SCSI Z3 ][ CD32 ][ VIC-20 ][ 4 * C64 Breadbin ][ 5 * C64C ][ 2 * C128 ][ C128D ][ C64 DTV ][ Mac Classic ][ Mac Classic II ][ Mac Colour Classic ]
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The TF534 is very very much in the red. All of them except the 328 are. That’s fine though.
———
kludge

Post by kludge »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 am The TF534 is very very much in the red. All of them except the 328 are. That’s fine though.
A hobby is supposed to cost money, isn’t it :)

I don’t think I’ve really made any money on a C64 repair yet (or any other retro related endeavor), but I’m at least having fun doing it :)
A kludge is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

My lack of focus:
[ 4 * Amiga 500 ][ Amiga 500+ ][ 2 * Amiga 600 ][ A1200 ][ Amiga 2000 w/ A2386 ][ Amiga 4000/030 w/ CyberVision 64 3D, FastLane SCSI Z3 ][ CD32 ][ VIC-20 ][ 4 * C64 Breadbin ][ 5 * C64C ][ 2 * C128 ][ C128D ][ C64 DTV ][ Mac Classic ][ Mac Classic II ][ Mac Colour Classic ]
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

True.. but I’m subsidising other people’s hobbies too... and getting abuse for it.
———
kludge

Post by kludge »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:41 am True.. but I’m subsidising other people’s hobbies too... and getting abuse for it.
Yeah, that’s a problem. As long as people buy cheap PCBs from you and build stuff for their own I think it might be ok-ish, but if people are making substantial money from it I think it’s problematic.

You could start charging more for the PCBs, but then the entry cost for those wishing to try building one will be higher.

TL;DR I don’t know how it should be handled.

You getting abuse for developing affordable accelerators for Amiga/Atari is just inexcusable. People are sick. If I ever come across as making demands it’s just because I’m eager to tinker with stuff.

My lack of focus:

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”