Getting WFI Working on TF3xx with ESP Module

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Drivers for ESP modules

Post by terriblefire »

It’s not rs232. It’s 3.3v level. If you wire a serial device to it you’ll blow up the TF330.

Its designed to be a cheap way to talk to Arduino type serial hardware which are very common and cheap now. But requires 3.3v.

Never understood why Amigians still want to use DB9. I dont even have a PC with DB9 anymore.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
matt020

Post by matt020 »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:40 am Never understood why Amigians still want to use DB9. I dont even have a PC with DB9 anymore.
DB9 or DB25, either/or, but it is a way I can run some sort of network on the CD32 until something bigger and better comes along. That was all.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

matt020 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:05 am DB9 or DB25, either/or, but it is a way I can run some sort of network on the CD32 until something bigger and better comes along. That was all.
The ESP stuff should work perfectly as is. Its entirely a software setup thing.

Essentially what you need to do is ..

1. you get the ESP8266 device, flash it with this...

https://github.com/martin-ger/esp_slip_router

Follow the instructions to set the baud rate to something the Amiga can handle.. e.g. 19200

2. install the ESP8288 into the CD32.

3. install your fav TCP/IP setup.

4. Install the SANAII Development kit.

http://aminet.net/package/dev/misc/sana2_v2

and then update the drivers..

http://aminet.net/comm/net/sana2-cslip.lha

also useful is this

http://aminet.net/comm/net/sanautil.lha

From what i can tell you just copy the slip0.config to the env-arc:sana2/ folder and change the IP address.

But it doesnt work for me :(
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
juz400

Post by juz400 »

Not wishing to Annoy but offer alternate options, my CD32 is less than 5 ft from my main PC and as my Firewall/Router is DIY
I dont have a wireless connection point

This device seems to offer a Com: port at the USB end and an SPI among other ports at the other end offering a Serial connection
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/bu ... -guide/all

Could this or another Ethernet to SPI adaptor be made to work?
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/16948 ... gIk6fD_BwE

Do you think either could be an option? Im quite happy to splurge on either for experimentaion/contribution to development.
Hope you are starting to recover from your cold/flu
Justin
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

There are already serial port options for the CD32. Via the keyboard port for example. If you want to do a cable option then use that.

Why not just buy two ESP8266s and use them back to back for your situation? You can put esp_slip_router into airport mode on one side.

I’ve always said im not interested in retro peripherals... because they really suck. And they’re expensive nowadays.
———
matt020

Post by matt020 »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:12 pm There are already serial port options for the CD32. Via the keyboard port for example. If you want to do a cable option then use that.
It's the price :( For what they are, they are expensive.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

a 3.3v usb serial breakout will work with the TF330.. but i'm not going down the road of supporting it etc. otherwise i'll get nothing done.
———
juz400

Post by juz400 »

I did look for an Aux/Keyboard to serial cable, the only thing available was £25 and I still had to find a Serial to USB cable
I ordered the BusPirate as it was £25 and does ALOT more than a serial cable, it has an SPI bus sniffer which may be useful
The Ethernet adaptor is a similar ENC28J60 module like Mike Stirling worked on his drivers with, so ordered.
I use an X99A Mobo, it has 2 connections for wireless antena, maybe I could use it as a basestation
Which ESP2866 module are you using? I could order the same, see if its a problem with it or something else.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

juz400 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:10 pm I did look for an Aux/Keyboard to serial cable, the only thing available was £25 and I still had to find a Serial to USB cable
I ordered the BusPirate as it was £25 and does ALOT more than a serial cable, it has an SPI bus sniffer which may be useful
The Ethernet adaptor is a similar ENC28J60 module like Mike Stirling worked on his drivers with, so ordered.
I use an X99A Mobo, it has 2 connections for wireless antena, maybe I could use it as a basestation
Which ESP2866 module are you using? I could order the same, see if its a problem with it or something else.
The bus pirate isnt really a serial port at all. Its an interactive protocol sniffer. You cant really use it like a serial port.

If you just want a serial port get something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AZDelivery-Ada ... B01N9RZK6I
and a couple of dupont cables.
———
theq

Post by theq »

Was testing this yesterday, but with no success. Need to confirm that my ESP-01S is working properly. Will test this today.
Just ordered stuff from Digikey to help troubleshoot the port during Easter.

Does the port act like a normal serial Tx/Rx on the Amiga with the normal serial.device (except it's TTL obviously)? No need for any fancy wrapper or workaround?

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”