Terriblefire State of the Union....

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Terriblefire State of the Union....

Post by terriblefire »

Well i guess i thought i'd update on where I am after how things panned out at the end of last year.

I'm the sort of guy that cannot normally stay annoyed/angry about something for very long... I get it out of my system quickly and sharply! But I am still about this. I'm not being sensitive about name calling or anything like that.. those who actually know me know that I will insult people in the hope they'll insult me back. Its a Scottish trait. What happened felt more like a gun to my head. And it still feels like the threat is there.

I'm sure a lot of the people on this forum understand that this is a hobby. Its something that we make for own enjoyment and share with others because seeing our creations being enjoyed by other people makes us happy. This is why we do it. None of us make any money out of it.. we charge what we charge to try and break even on parts and equipment. That never happens but it takes the sting out of the worst of it. But we also do not want it to become a "job" either.. that would take the fun out of it.

Then a couple of days ago a few threads started getting active on a well known amiga forum... and lets say it reinforced my understanding that the retro community is filled with people that will fling mud at you and have tantrums if they don't get what they want. I'll leave you all to find it if you want to.

I had completed the TF1260 new revision and was almost about to order it when all the chaos kicked off. Around Xmas I ordered up 5 of them and I've built them for some local friends in the Scottish Amiga Users Group to enjoy. Its nice to know it worked. Hope the lads enjoy them. :) Please don't ask for one as refusal often offends.
IMG_4118.jpg
IMG_4118.jpg (486.52 KiB) Viewed 6901 times
As some of you know there was also a new card in the pipeline when all this happened.. the TF4060. Well I kinda couldnt help myself from finishing routing it... then @indigolemon nagged me in November to get it manufactured... i did and it sat for a month in a box... @chucky nagged me in December to build it... and finally I got it running recently with some patch wires. I've built a couple for testing purposes but i'm not massively inclined to do more work on it. So dont ask. Its really a personal project with no more thought for how other people will get it working for them.... So I can enjoy tinkering with it and not care about when and if the project completes.
IMG_3852.jpg
IMG_3852.jpg (482.13 KiB) Viewed 6901 times
Although I've helped out on the CD32 Riser project its mostly been @arkadiusz.makarenko that has taken the lead on it recently and i've done some measurements here and there for him. The project is looking good.

The only other thing i've been working on is getting CD Drive support to work on TF360 the CD32. Mostly because I want it. If I do get it working i'll issue updates to those with TF360s. I can confirm that Peat & Diesel will play on a CD32.

So basically im still playing around with stuff but not very seriously. I've heard it said that the TF1260 is vapour/failed product... i can agree with that. But its a beautiful failure as failures go :)

Finally I have an upcoming house move in 2021 so I may go off the radar for a bit.

Take care and have a good 2021!
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Badwolf

Re: Terribllefire State of the Union....

Post by Badwolf »

Good luck with the move, TF & glad to hear you you got your latest boards up and running.

Hope your mood improves enough in the future to see a few more bits and pieces appear on GitHub, if only firmware.

o/

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

I am glad you were able to continue with your hobby regardless of the muppets and the events that occured on that "other" forum. Those boards look amazing, and it's good to know that the work you did on the 1260 and 4060 were not in vain! Always have the utmost respect for you and the stuff you've done!!! Hope the move goes well and I hope you remain part of the community here regardless of past trauma related to that other forum!!!
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:11 pm I am glad you were able to continue with your hobby regardless of the muppets and the events that occured on that "other" forum. Those boards look amazing, and it's good to know that the work you did on the 1260 and 4060 were not in vain! Always have the utmost respect for you and the stuff you've done!!! Hope the move goes well and I hope you remain part of the community here regardless of past trauma related to that other forum!!!
Thanks Chris, Enjoy the TF4060 ;)
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:17 pm
GadgetUK164 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:11 pm I am glad you were able to continue with your hobby regardless of the muppets and the events that occured on that "other" forum. Those boards look amazing, and it's good to know that the work you did on the 1260 and 4060 were not in vain! Always have the utmost respect for you and the stuff you've done!!! Hope the move goes well and I hope you remain part of the community here regardless of past trauma related to that other forum!!!
Thanks Chris, Enjoy the TF4060 ;)
=D I didn't know if I should mention it! It's out of the bag now!!! It's a lovely board, Quake plays silky smooth on it!!! Tomorrow I intend to have a really good testing / playing session!
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

Hello Stephen,

Good to hear from you, it has been a long time.
It's a shame what happened, the things some people do for money.. :oops:
(sometimes I think some are closer to monkeys than others, but that would probably offend the monkeys)

I'm happy to see that you are having fun building things again, even if it is for yourself.
The only reason I wanted to give the Amiga's a go after 28 years was because of the possibility's was there were to recreate a nice system like I had as a kid when I spend all my hard earned money on an 68060 board.

I wish you an uneventfull move, many nights soldering and most of all a lot of fun!

Marcel

P.s.
If you want to have a go at me at insulting me you are welcome, the Dutch can take it as wel as we can dish it out :lol:
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Maximilian wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:28 pm P.s.
If you want to have a go at me at insulting me you are welcome, the Dutch can take it as wel as we can dish it out :lol:
Yes one of my best friends is Dutch.

———
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

So what are your plans for 2021?
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Scotts means folk from Stone on Trent, now that one would be a blast :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:41 pm
Nice one!

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”