Terriblefire State of the Union....

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

hiddenevil

Re: Terriblefire State of the Union....

Post by hiddenevil »

I think given what happened, not just to you but to other people as well. Getting your work copied and not given even an ounce of credit. Your well in your right to feel how you do.

Yeah it sucks, I was truly looking forward to the 1260, but it'll happen eventually, someone somewhere will fill the need in the scene. Just a matter of when and where.

As for people still having a go at you? Just silly, you made your decision. If you change your mind somewhere down the road, that's your beeswax

EDIT: Unnecessary long quote removed - consider using @tagging
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

hiddenevil wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:32 am Yeah it sucks, I was truly looking forward to the 1260, but it'll happen eventually, someone somewhere will fill the need in the scene. Just a matter of when and where.
To get to the point of making the TF1260 i put in at least a 40 hour week on my hobby for 4 years. For no pay and a lot of abuse back in return. I'm not saying nobody will make an open source 060 card but that's the raw maths behind it. Maybe there are more talented people out there that can get through the issues fasters but even the 060 purple bug took me the best part of 6 months to solve and I was at that a lot more than 40 hours a week.

In short the reason I was able to create the TF1260 was utter dogged determination and graft. And to see the bullies simply want to slap you and take it off you after all that effort is why I feel the way I do about the Amiga community.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Higgy

Re: Terribllefire State of the Union....

Post by Higgy »

Interesting one demo did not recognise the card as 060 and flags a warning. But the coders had it so you could add a command after the file executable and it will run regardless of what it thinks you have. And it ran perfect on TF360 from my memory.
(Sorry I did not write down the name at the time, I expect I will come across it again).
I wonder if it reads a Card ID? Being that there is only a handful of different 060 cards released, the coders could have added in Apollo/Blizzard ID's to cross reference? I don't really have a clue what tale tail signs a 060 card would give to the Amiga. Maybe because it is a CD32 their check does not work?
terriblefire wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:37 pm
Higgy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:05 pm For info I got Knarkzilla to run. I must have had a bad .Lha or I unarchived it on Windows.
Compatibility is really cracking.
Just been watching some haujobb group demos.
Excellent. :D Thanks for letting me know. Yes i worked my arse off on compatibility.
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

People who never took part in any project think that it is easy.
They have that Hollywood image of a hacker/programmer writing tons of code out of their head.
A lot of people fail to understand that each project is hundreds of hours of work.

If we honestly calculated how much it would cost to develop one of 030 cards - market price, it would be in range of £20,000+ in PCB and firmware plus R&D. 060 would be simply more than that.

People are dismissive of what happened saying that TF were planning to open source it.
But if we compare what happened to other situation is that if TF was planning to to donate brand new car as charity, but someone stole it, now they saying that he wanted to get rid of it anyway!...

Todays rant is sponsored by Speyside Single Malt Whisky :D
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

I've seen people sell copies of my designs on Ebay. Ebay doesn't do anything about it and the person didn't care when I asked him to take them down. Shitty things are gonna happen no matter what.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Lynxman wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:55 pm I've seen people sell copies of my designs on Ebay. Ebay doesn't do anything about it and the person didn't care when I asked him to take them down. Shitty things are gonna happen no matter what.
I guess in this instance that happened just before i released 2 new cards... so I just decided ..

"you know what... I dont have to do this. Supporting people is a hassle and i don't get anything back for it. So i'm simply not going to."

In all the ranting and shouting and name calling i've seen about me ... nobody has ever given me a good reason why I should put in effort to be abused when the alternative is not to and get the same abuse. There is simply nothing in it for me to do this.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:19 pm In all the ranting and shouting and name calling i've seen about me ... nobody has ever given me a good reason why I should put in effort to be abused when the alternative is not to and get the same abuse. There is simply nothing in it for me to do this.
Screw um I say. Loads of people hate me.. I'm not keen on a lot of people either. Anyone who sends me any sort of abuse, I take it for a couple of emails, if things don't calm down, they get banned / blocked / ignored. Like you, support is given to people for free. We are not obligated to help anyone. If people can't be civil, then they can go take a running jump. If people want full support and take crap from people, then I will employ someone and people will be charged for the service.

People have stolen my work for years, not just even Atari stuff either, someone even took out a patent on my work years ago. P*sses me off, I could write a book on what people have done to me over the years, but oh well. If people want to buy fakes then its not like they would have ever supported you anyway.

At the end of the day, if anyone copies anything of mine without permission, there has to be a buyers market for those goods, If the community really is that bad to buy "Fake goods" and not from the creators, then sure, time to quit and move on. But if people buy enough from me (or any creators) and its still worth while working on stuff, then sure , support people and produce stuff. For me it depends on the community as a whole.

In anycase, There are a LOT of good people out there also. We have great people on this forum who support each other here, that's how a community should be. I think its amazing what the people have created over the past couple of years on this forum! :cheers:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

@exxos It's a pity that there's not an "I agree" option for posts on here. I agree totally with your post. No-one should be hassled for not living up to other people's expectations when all you are trying to do is help. Being civil and understanding doesn't take any effort. Too many people these days thing that they're entitled to everything but give nothing and throw their toys out of the pram when the slightest thing doesn't go their way. It's depressing and disgusting.

In this hobby anyone buying these boards should know that they're prototypes and not production items and as such they'll have gotchas. Also, although you do your best you don't have the resources that multi-nationals do for customer "care". Expectations are all too often too high, usually exo-galactic. Sometimes I feel like just giving up on the human race.

Anyway, I'm just happy when talented people make nice things and want to share them with everyone else, as everyone wins.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil »

I hope you didn’t think my comments were down playing your hard graft. All I meant, was that all those people shouting and screaming at you. Really need to chill, nature abhors a vacuum. So if there’s a need for an 060 card, someone somewhere will come along and fill the need, eventually.

Had I been in your position, I might very well have taken the actions you did. It’s your right to protect yourself, your property and most of all your sanity. I love messing with old computers, I love Amiga computers. Nothing would tick me off more than if some turned something I loved and took it away. Marking it with something painful :(

I hope some day you can come back and enjoy it again, I really love the TF536 I have. I tried to make sure the card I bought was credited to you, otherwise I would not have bought it. I don’t believe in screwing over a fellow Amiga fan, but that’s just me.

terriblefire wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:06 am
hiddenevil wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:32 am Yeah it sucks, I was truly looking forward to the 1260, but it'll happen eventually, someone somewhere will fill the need in the scene. Just a matter of when and where.
To get to the point of making the TF1260 i put in at least a 40 hour week on my hobby for 4 years. For no pay and a lot of abuse back in return. I'm not saying nobody will make an open source 060 card but that's the raw maths behind it. Maybe there are more talented people out there that can get through the issues fasters but even the 060 purple bug took me the best part of 6 months to solve and I was at that a lot more than 40 hours a week.

In short the reason I was able to create the TF1260 was utter dogged determination and graft. And to see the bullies simply want to slap you and take it off you after all that effort is why I feel the way I do about the Amiga community.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

hiddenevil wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:54 pm I hope you didn’t think my comments were down playing your hard graft. All I meant, was that all those people shouting and screaming at you. Really need to chill, nature abhors a vacuum. So if there’s a need for an 060 card, someone somewhere will come along and fill the need, eventually.

Had I been in your position, I might very well have taken the actions you did. It’s your right to protect yourself, your property and most of all your sanity. I love messing with old computers, I love Amiga computers. Nothing would tick me off more than if some turned something I loved and took it away. Marking it with something painful :(

I hope some day you can come back and enjoy it again, I really love the TF536 I have. I tried to make sure the card I bought was credited to you, otherwise I would not have bought it. I don’t believe in screwing over a fellow Amiga fan, but that’s just me.
You see the thing is I would have opened up the Gerbers for the TF536 around now anyways. Everyone knew this. It was actions by a particular group of people originating from a particular country to "show me"/"teach me a lesson". Well i learned the lesson.. dont have anything to do with the Amiga community.

I am having lots of fun continuing to improve my boards for my own happiness but i do not feel any need to share these with anyone except my friends.
———

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”