The TFMSX Is out of the bag...

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

stephen_usher

Re: The TFMSX Is out of the bag...

Post by stephen_usher »

Is that different from the TI9928/29?

I know that you can hack 4164 chips (just adapting for the pinout) to act as video RAM for these.

See: http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/m ... mavram.htm
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Looks like a standard DRAM interface with two banks of RAM with separate CAS lines, with a third CAS line for expansion RAM.
Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 10.42.35.png
Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 10.42.35.png (90.18 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:53 am
arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:26 am If you need ARM keyboard firmware, I do have some experience with those already ;)
Wanna use the same arm chip? I can just copy paste the circuit over to the MSX
Cheaper f730 with exactly the same circuit would be more than enough
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:43 am Looks like a standard DRAM interface with two banks of RAM with separate CAS lines, with a third CAS line for expansion RAM.
Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 10.42.35.png
Yes. So to be more efficient i'd need SMD DRAM thats 8 bits wide or 4 bits with a dual CAS.

EDIT: in other words 4164 would make the problem worse as i want fewer chips and SMD rather than more chips.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I take it that you have the V9958 datasheet: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... a7lGv88dwA

You could just use the CAS lines as extra address lines and add some logic to do the real CAS on the DRAM by ORing them and then use a bigger RAM chip.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:05 am I take it that you have the V9958 datasheet: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... a7lGv88dwA

You could just use the CAS lines as extra address lines and add some logic to do the real CAS on the DRAM by ORing them and then use a bigger RAM chip.
Yeah. I'm just looking for a nicer part than the 41464 through hole jobs. I'm a long way into the design.

EDIT: i dont use a chip without checking a its docs into my private repo. ;)
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Surely any larger 8 bit DRAM will do, and just tie the extra address lines to zero.

I s'pose you could create an SRAM interface if you really wanted. Maybe have the VRAM on a daughter board so that you can fit whatever RAM board you like on there with the relevant logic? It would make the main PCB simpler and you could change the VRAM board as and when different RAM chips become available.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

A bigger DRAM chip thats 8 bit is what i'm asking about. I dont know of any.

SRAM and solutions involving logic defeat the purpose.. Must take up less board space than 4 x 41464s.

The research i already did indicated that only EDO sims have these chips on them and they're pretty rare. Thats why i asked.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Also you can all blame this man for the TFMSX...

https://www.twitch.tv/banjoguyollie

He basically said..
x6UcUnmtQTNZ.gif
x6UcUnmtQTNZ.gif (1.47 MiB) Viewed 3489 times
———
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:18 am
stephen_usher wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:05 am I take it that you have the V9958 datasheet: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... a7lGv88dwA

Yeah. I'm just looking for a nicer part than the 41464 through hole jobs. I'm a long way into the design.

EDIT: i dont use a chip without checking a its docs into my private repo. ;)
Just a thought. There are quite a few SMD 16bit DRAM chips available at lowish prices. Use one of those and just not use the upper 8 bits? I guess that they're bigger than a single 41464. Also 3.3V, which means more circuitry.

e.g. https://uk.farnell.com/integrated-silic ... dp/2901170

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”