TF1230 Design Complete

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF1230 Design Complete

Post by terriblefire »

You see fundamentally the 040 has three problems...

1. Its slow.
2. Its hot.
3. Its 5V.

I wanted a pure 3.3v solution on my 060 card so i could make it alot cheaper. People think i should just "easily" add support for the 040 but its really fundamentally baked into my design to only support 3.3v. The ram is 3.3v and its not buffered to the CPU. If you put 5v on the cpu data bus you'll kill the ram.

Plus you can get a LC060 for £40. Cheaper than a 50Mhz 030. So why 040? I dont get it.

Cheap 060 £38
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-680 ... 2543509234

Cheapest 040 £35
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PCS-New-MOT ... 2943345443

Cost of extra parts to support 040 is about £20 and then there is my time supporting it. Naw.. 040 is utterly stupid.

Unless you are into demos in a big way on Amiga you dont need an FPU. And if you are you'll pay for a full 060.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I guess the 040 argument comes down to.... I dont want to put my time and money into a card that is fundamentally for cheapskates.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
chucky

Post by chucky »

I can understand people asking "040 040 040" until they go into the obvious:

25MHz will get MUCH hotter than a 060 (rev1) at 66MHz meaning you will have severe heatingissues.

then add the costs of more levelshifters etc..

in short: no
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

chucky wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:54 pm I can understand people asking "040 040 040" until they go into the obvious:

25MHz will get MUCH hotter than a 060 (rev1) at 66MHz meaning you will have severe heatingissues.

then add the costs of more levelshifters etc..

in short: no
Plus the people asking for 040 are the ones that are too tight to pay for an 060.. Those are not the people you want as customers. This design is intentional so I dont have to deal with those people :)
———
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

In my opinion 040 is cheap now. If there was a reasonably priced 040 accelerator then prices would go up very quickly.
Same happened with 030 50Mhz.
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:02 pm In my opinion 040 is cheap now. If there was a reasonably priced 040 accelerator then prices would go up very quickly.
Same happened with 030 50Mhz.
There is also that... people would then ask me why i made 040 card when the price difference is so little.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its impossible to win.
———
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I don't think people realise the crappy rev1 060s out there are fine for 66mhz and out perform a 040 at a lower cost. IMO its pointless to invest in a more complicated and more expensive product just to get less performance.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

exxos wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:11 pm I don't think people realise the crappy rev1 060s out there are fine for 66mhz and out perform a 040 at a lower cost. IMO its pointless to invest in a more complicated and more expensive product just to get less performance.
Plus i have some £38 EC chips that sit at 93Mhz all day on the TF4060
———
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:12 pm Plus i have some £38 EC chips that sit at 93Mhz all day on the TF4060
Now that is good!
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Danoo

Post by Danoo »

The 040s just get so damn hot when they have to do anything but stroll along.
(read somewhere that some masks run cooler but are harder to find, so that is useless)

For example, managed to get an Apollo 1240 up and running a while back, could cook an egg on the top of that processor with just minimal load. Converted the Apollo to a 1260, and under the same load could barely feel any warmth at all on the top of the processor,
just no contest what so ever :lol:

I understand there are probably more of them about, but do you really want a radiator inside your precious 30 year old machine. :roll:

I guess their niche would be better suited to big box machines where cooling is not really an issue.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”