A1200 Clockport USB Design (Open Discussion)

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

A1200 Clockport USB Design (Open Discussion)

Post by terriblefire »

So now that BrExit has happened and some people won't fill in a form to ship to the UK I guess we need to make our own USB Clockport design for the A1200. Shouldn't be too hard as we have most of the required tech already. I mean the TF CD32 Riser is basically that without some software.

My Initial thoughts are to use the current dual USB stack from the TF CD32 Riser and hook this up to the clockport in some kind of sane way. Possibly using the RTC on the ARM too.

I'm wanting to keep this as simple as possible but open up to suggestions. But so for my thoughts are ....

1. Run the USB stack on the ARM to keep the Amiga free to do its own thing.
2. Support for mass storage and HID devices only (with current hub support etc)

Over to @arkadiusz.makarenko for why #2 is a pain but it should actually be simpler than the CD32 riser.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: A1200 Clockport USB Design (Open Discussion)

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

I don't have an issue with sorting ARM side with any above.
I had basic hub support working a year ago, but issue was RAM on f105 which could run out very quickly with just few devices, since f105 is abandoned now I can't see why I wouldn't try again.

Sorting USB mass storage device on ARM is relatively simple, but managing it from Amiga will be more challenging. Especially driver bit (I could adapt if it can be written in C and someone could give me crash course on it - ASM is out of question for me)
Other issue I had was synch data via clockport, on CD32 I could insert waitstates as many as I wish on CPU in clockoport it seems to be more difficult to do? But I gess it is ma matter of undertanding clockport communication better.

Arek
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Drivers i think i can find someone to do this now... or at least help....

If we can leverage some kind of DMA in the ARM with IOR/IOW signals that would be the way to go.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

terriblefire wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:34 am Drivers i think i can find someone to do this now... or at least help....

If we can leverage some kind of DMA in the ARM with IOR/IOW signals that would be the way to go.
I can set up DMA on GPIOs with timer I think. But this stuff might be very hardware dependent, so it would need to be wired in very specific way I think. I need to investigate this more.
~ Stanislaw Lem
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

For this application we really want the ARM to look like an ATA device. Someone must have done this already. What chips do the SD2IDE cards have?
———
go0se

Post by go0se »

FC1307A, successor to the FC1306 (datasheet attached) Doesn't look very promising availability / price wise.

SD2IDE.jpg
SD2IDE.jpg (38.52 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
Attachments
FC1306.zip
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 129 times
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

How would you see this setup?

Would there be CPLD between stm32 and clockport? If I could utilize build in stm32 peripherals then sending data using DMA would be easy.
But talking directly to the bus stm32 might not be flexible enough to use 100% of its potential?
~ Stanislaw Lem
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

Hi,

Brand new to the forum, I'll post an intro thread shortly...

Anyway, I've got some stm32 experience so would be happy to try help on this with the MCU firmware element. Not a professional, just a hobbyist.

I've been away from Amiga for ~20+ years, picked up an a500 a few weeks back and bought a TF536 (came here looking to see if I should upgrade the firmware). I also picked up a trapdoor 512kb ram expansion which has a clockport on it.... So naturally would love to have a mass storage option via that for 'convenient' file transfer, or even maybe ethernet?

If anyone has some reference material that may help ref the clockport please feel free to point me at it, or tell me to use google :lol: Existing driver source code refs would also be good...
amimjf

Post by amimjf »

BennehBoy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:42 pm I also picked up a trapdoor 512kb ram expansion which has a clockport on it....
Hi,

Which one was that ?
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

amimjf wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:21 pm Which one was that ?
Hi,

I'm not sure whose it is, I grabbed it on fleabay.

On the rear of the board printed in the solder mask is 'NF-500E' Rev. 2.3

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”